What is the purpose of this rung?

lifetech

Hi all
I have been seeing this rung more and more lately in various programs. How does it work and what is its purpose?
Thanks! The bit address is just an example...

b3:0/1 xic, b3:0/1 xio, b3:0/1 ote

the labeling is usually the answer
this forces b3:0/1 to the OFF state
this is used by a programmer to 'Turn off' a rung or a function
there is usually a reverse line - might be b3:0/0
which is always ON
welcome to the site

I can understand that. The last time I saw this rung, it was true. I believe it went true when I switched the key from program to run on a slc 505.
This program is for an autoclave and by this rung being true, it caused the logic to begin a 70 minute cool down phase before it would allow any doors to open or any new cycles to begin. I was wondering if the rung monitors a processor scan error or something like it.

You didn't actually specify the logic of the rung, just the example addresses.

If the first two references are in series it guarantees (assuming that the bit is not referenced as an output anywhere else in the program or by any means of messaging including an HMI) that the bit remains OFF. If the first two are in parallel then (again given the above parenthetical assumptions) the bit should remain ON.

So you have a few things to verify. The logic, the lack of any other output reference (including full word addressing (e.g B3:0)), the lank of any HMI reference and finally the lack of any messaging from another PLC directed toward this bit or word.

I have bits in a program which, I hope, are clear by documentation that they are affected by messaging from another PLC. Without that (someone uploading without the original source) it could be very confusing. I don't know how to resolve that (lack of comments).

Noting your comment about the state of the bit on switching from program to run, the typical behavior of the pre-scan should be that the bit would be evaluated as if the rung were false. The pre-scan should have reset this bit so that, from the start of the first REAL scan up until this rung is executed, the bit would be OFF. But from there on it would be in accordance with the logic. You shouldn't have seen its state except in accord with the logic.

Last edited:
That is my first line in a SLC 500 since they did not include an AFI in the instruction set.
I do the same, although I use B3:0/0 as my ALW_OFF, and usually create an ALW_ON as well, in case I need it. My ALW_ON is B3:0/1 (0 for OFF and 1 for ON... ;)). I would hope that this commonly used method of creating an ALW_OFF bit should make that bit STAY off!... :oops:

Lifetech... In addition to Bernie's ideas, is there anything else in the logic BESIDES this bit that could initiate the cool down phase? I highly doubt that this bit could be ON unless something else is overriding it, but who knows?... :confused:

🍻

-Eric