how to setup LAN settings to connect to an AB plc

kushesh

Hi Guys

im new to the plc world , i would like to know how to setup my LAN settings on my laptop so i can connect to the plc

any assistance would be appreciated.!!!!

thanks

Kushesh,

You will need to give us a lot more info than that.

For a start which PLC do you want to connect to?

What operating system is being used by the PC?

Thats just for starters.

Mark

OK first you need to set your IP address of your network card to be in the same subnet as your PLC IP address, but be careful not duplicate and existing addresses.

So if your IP address on your PLC is 10.64.8.91 then your PC will need to have an IP address in the range 10.64.8.xxx range.

Open up control panel and go to your network settings and change the IP address as in the picture.

I havent got Windows XP but I hope this helps.

Mark

IP.jpg

thanks mark , i managed to find the plc on the network

another problem im having is that when i try to go online i get the error message

"Failed to go online with the controller
RS linx does not recognize the communications path
try checking the path by browsing it on rs who"

the i click on the plc ip address and it says unrecognized device

Your probably missing the EDS file for that plc. If you could provide more information what type plc, what software you are using (logix5, 500,5000 etc.) what version your software is and what version linx.

Sounds like you are just trying to go online using the top left hand controls.

The path is invalid probably because there isnt one.

Click on the communications tab on the top and click Who Active.

This should then bring up your PLC.

As Iggy said, if you dont have the EDS file you will have a yellow exclamation mark.

If that is the case go into RS Linx and upload the EDS file from the device.

Mark

Online.jpg