Maple Systems HMI Lag Issue

dansanb

Hello Everyone,

I am new to posting on this forum, but I have been reading and learning from this community for a long time (Thank you!). I ran into an issue that I have not been able to find on this forum/internet.

I am using EZWarePlus to program a HMI5150P touch screen HMI, connected to a S7-200 Siemens PLC. The connection between the two is RS-485 2wire. The communication cable from the HMI to the PLC is 25 feet long (shielded), purchased directly from Maple Systems.

I am having "lag" issues with the maple systems touch screen. When the HMI first boots up, it works fine for about 5-30 minutes (it's random). Then, the HMI becomes very slow and laggy, it is very slow to respond. When you press the screen to touch a button, it takes 5-7 seconds to acknowledge. So what operators are doing is pressing the button multiple times, because they think they didn't press it correctly the first time. When the HMI switches screens, you can see the unit struggle to draw the new screen over the old screen. We installed a "reset" switch on the HMI, so that operators can reset the unit and get it to become responsive again. Currently, they are restarting the HMI unit about 18-20 times a day. After they reboot the HMI, it works fine and perfectly, but only for about 5-30 minutes (again).

There is a "communication" light at the front-bottom of the HMI unit, which blinks about 3-4 times a second when the unit is working normally. When the unit enters "slow mode", it blinks once every second. This is how we can tell if the HMI unit is responsive or not.

We have tried the following without any luck:

- Replaced the PLC and it's 24v power supply
- Replaced the HMI and it's 24v power supply
- Replaced the communication cable (per Maple Systems Support)
- Adjust communication settings (per Maple Systems Support)
- Upgraded HMI unit to latest EZWare Plus software and latest Firmware
- Had Maple Systems review my project to make sure I wasn't over-killing the HMI with graphics or data sampling, they said it was fine.

Maple Systems Support has been awesome and supportive, but I wanted to post this here since I'm running out of time to get this issue resolved.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank for any insight in advanced!

- Dan

I haven't used EZWare Plus yet but have used EZWare5000 a good bit. One thing that has bitten me in the rear before is a bad tag address. I generally build my tag database in Excel and import into EZware. I'm not familiar with Siemens so I'm not familiar with its coms protocol,,, I most commonly use Modbus or some form of AB.

It's one more thing to check anyway.

Ben

My pleasure. I also have to agree that Maple Systems does have a very good tech support. I'm surprised they couldn't help you.