Siemens CPU 319-3

YoungWint

Hi All

I am putting together a largish project at present.

The client has requested two off Profibus networks and two off ethernet networks.

With this in mind I specified a Siemens CPU 319-3 with an additional CP 343-1.

Reading the spec it has a 2 port Profinet port, one I will use for HMI. What is the second port for as don't seem able to configure through Hardware Configuration.

Now questioning if need the additional card.

Any one used this before who can advise would be saviour.

The ports are a two port switch not two seperate interface ports.
Siemens puts two or three port switches on most of their PN based PLC's. If you want two seperate PN networks you will need the CP module.

Or use new almost available s7-1500 big dog model. It has two separate e-net interfaces, only other one pn capable tough.

I'm currently using a 319-3 + CP343 with two Profibus networks(1 at 12MB/sec and one at 3MB/sec) and two Ethernet networks. No problems to report.

I'd also vote for the 319-3. I used one on a failry large project 2 years ago with 60 drives on two profibus networks, 50+ profinet slaves all on one network along with 6 HMIs. All of this kit was runnning under Profi-Safe (319F CPU) and it didn't even break in to a sweat.

Do you really need two profinet networks?

Nick

2 x Profibus and 2 x Ethernet ?
That does sound like something that must be redundant.
If that is the case, maybe you will be looking at an S7-400H CPU.

If the reason for 2 profibus networks is not for redundancy, but just because that is an extensive plant installation, maybe you should try to convince the customer to go for an all-ethernet solution.

Guys thanks for the feedback.

Two profibus networks are for duty/ standby, not redundancy. It a specific design specification.

Can't quite get my head round the ethernet works as it is specifed one for interplc communication and one for SCADA/ LOI etc.

Two profibus networks are for duty/ standby, not redundancy.
"duty/standby" are other words for "redundancy".

I am curious now. How is the standby network supposed to take over if there is a problem on the other network ? Automatically ? Or via user intervention ?