Theory - Motor Control Blocks

adfox

Hi, I'm generally using S7-300/400/1200

I have several FB types for different types of motors - direct, reversing, softstart etc.

What do You prefer - Having ultimate huge function that can handle everything ( like changing control type - remote HMI/local buttons, CW/CCW ) or seperate functions for each type of motor and control.

Also if You have a mega fb - what's the best way to parametrize it ?
Using UDT/byte/word with options and setting them outside or any other way?

Using function I/O in excess doesn't suit me - i like to keep my blocks as compact as functional

Now something else:

After changing FB that has few FBs nested inside, is there any way to download newly generated instance DB automatically with calling FB ?

( No - i'm not using PCS7 :) )

I prefer small and compact. I have an occasional parameter that turns a function on or off, but no mega function block for everything.

After changing FB that has few FBs nested inside, is there any way to download newly generated instance DB automatically with calling FB ?
If you only change the code, but do not change the declaration part, you can download the changed FB at runtime.

If you change an FB that is embedded in another FB (aka multiple instance) the same applies, as long as you only change code and not the declaration of the embedded FB.
But.... there will be a timestamp conflict of the calling FB and IDB, which will mean you cannot monitor it online any longer.

If you change the declaration part of an FB, then there is no other way than generating the IDB (or IDBs) and download both FB and IDBs all over. And you will of course lose the actual values of the IDB, which can have bad consequences on a running system.

Ok, but when changing declaration i need to update the outside....-and in the end - instance db that holds multicalls.

And now - when i'm up on a plant for more than 12-14h ( what happens very often ) i'm usually turning my brain off :)

The first symptom of it is loading instance FB to plc and forgetting to load iDB... And wondering why the damn SCADA is not showing proper values :)

Automating this process as TIA does would be nice... But i don't like TIA it's slow...

Install TIA on ramdisk and its fast enough.

Ha! Great idea. Thanks.
Still the problem is me and lot of my customers don't like candy look of TIA and has a lot of S7 projects done in Classic 5.x and I don't want to be the one teaching maintenance staff new things - on some plants looking at card's LED is a big problem.

I found also classic Step7 more hmm... I don't know oldschool (?) - i came from S5 and ... like it ;)