DataCollectionSoftware

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anybody have a favorite Data Collection Software that they use?
Basically I want to collect the Weights on individual pieces using a weighing scale.
The two products that I am comparing are:
WinWedge http://www.taltech.com/products/winwedge/standard/
Ohaus Collect Data http://www.coleparmer.com/buy/product/92943-ohaus-collect-data-acquisition-software.html

I may want to add dimensional data using a digital micrometer later on, but for now it just weight that I am concerned with.

Any other software packages that you would recommend?
Thanks

gbradley,

please double check winwedge. ue used it in multiple palces and the software is a communications interface.

the newer version may have that ability, but its safer to double check and say uh oh rather than buying a lot of software that needs more additions.

i would get with the company and do a webinal or find a local rep for a demo and discuss your application.

as for the others,
i have used rsview with vb to collect the data,
wonderware - i'm new to it but we write to a data base

regards,
james

How many records in a day are you looking to capture? Solutions range from fairly basic and not very costly to very complex and costly.

Give us some functional requirements to work with. Will your scale or measuring devices be connected to a PLC, or are you trying to collect the data directly from the equipment?

Last edited:
How many records in a day are you looking to capture? Solutions range from fairly basic and not very costly to very complex and costly.

Give us some functional requirements to work with. Will your scale or measuring devices be connected to a PLC, or are you trying to collect the data directly from the equipment?
I've got a blank slate.
What we do now is weigh the parts that are coming of of a press.
No more than 12/min
We write the weight of the part down on a piece of 8X10 notebook paper. Really?, yes really. :oops:

I want the operator to be able to place the part on the scale, and then when the weight settles out, the weight of the part gets automatically logged into Excel, along with time of day etc.
I figure that I will have to interface the Ohaus scale with a Pc.
Whether there is a PLC involved I haven't figured out just yet.

I haven't even talked with any sales people, because I respect your opinions so much more.

Probably going to replace the Scale, so that is also wide open.

I was considering the Ohaus Navigator NVT Capacity 16000g X 1g

Probably going to replace the Scale, so that is also wide open.

I was considering the Ohaus Navigator NVT Capacity 16000g X 1g

Use a Red Lion HMI for logging to csv files and possible dual role as a gateway between your scale head and/or PLC with scale card. I really like the performance of Compactlogix with HI-1769-WS card and intelligent load cell summing card and C2 Cable (when multiple load cells are used under a vessel or conveyor).

Put a G306 or better on your network and set up an FTP site, and install a 2GB CF card in the slot...you can then use a browser to download the csv files from up to as many as 8 simultaneous connections from any PC with a browser on the LAN. Double click the files and they open in Excel. I have Macros saved so I can open log files and click to format them directly for printing...you can set that up quite easily and share among Excel savvy users. Of course there is security to prevent/allow remote control and access to the logs if required.

Also, with the FTP server, the data is sent there every hour at a minute offset of your choosing.

There is little chance of lost data.

Even when we have had hardware failures, simply sticking the CF card in the replacement G3 and then powering up it will install firmware, application, and restore the retentive data, the logs are already there. It takes another trigger for each log for the trends to update, but there is no fiddling with setting IP addresses or downloading a program. The first boot after replacement does take a couple of minutes, but once restored, the hardware will boot in 7 seconds like normal.

I am working on my 2nd case weigher upgrade using the Red Lion and HI pieces along with Compactlogix L23E, it makes for a really fast and high performance scale.

For large vessels, we use hydrastatic load cells attached to a single bridge through a hydraulic summer. These are also used for truck scales, withstanding water and abuse much better than multiple electronic load cells.

Emery Winslow Hydrostatic

Paul

Last edited:
I have had success using modbus TCP/RTU in several applications, easier functions and very responsive.

Put a G306 or better on your network and set up an FTP site...

What is a G306?
It sounds like you are rolling your own, very cool.

I kind of want to use a brand name scale, instead of load cells connected to a PLC summing card.
I want to be able to send the Scale out for normal calibration, then just show the ISO dude the calibration sticker.

Another option may be in using KepserverEX with the Data Logger Plug-in.

On the server side, you will require a driver to interface to the scale. One such driver that Kepware offers is for Mettler Toledo scales. If they don't have an exact driver, you can use the U-Con driver, that enables you to create your own driver.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/kepware/ucon.htm

Once you have your driver either selected or created, you would be able to use the Data Logger Plug-in for KepserverEX.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/datalogger.htm

This will enable you to interface to log data to an ODBC compliant data base.

If you have any additional questions about this, feel free to post, pm or email me through the link below.

Disclosure - ESI is a Kepware distributor.

What is a G306?

http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachineInterface/OperatorInterface/G306.html

I still suggest the Red Lion HMI as a gateway to a standalone scale, there are over 200 drivers available and multiple serial ports, free kick asz software too: (Youtube)

You can get a face-less data station (access a web HMI remotely) version too...if you don't want a touchscreen at the interface.
http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachineInterface/DataStationPlus.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom