Ethernet Cable length

Hi All,
I have to connect two PLCs(Rockwell) over Ethernet I/P network for data exchange, but they are 200m apart. Does the connection requires a repeater or just a Ethernet cable will do the job ?

Thanks in Advance.

I had to connect 2 networks about 250 metres apart. I said we needed fibre optic but the client insisted on cat5...so we tried it and I was surprised at the results. I'm sure it loses packets but it's not noticeable, and the ping was very quick, something like 2ms.

It's not that it won't work after 100 metres, you can put a switch that will regenerate the signal but I seem to remember there being a limit on the number of hops it can do (5 maybe??)

But going over the length specs just means you're going outside the cat5 specs..

If he insists on CAT I'd use CAT6 with 100 meter switches...In industrial automation CAT5 vs. CAT6 has only one winner...:D

Wtf with this cat6. Its Cat 7 that should be used in new installs nowdays.. 100m is max for device cable (eg. from active port to active port, those old school hubs dont have active ports). To be honest 250m should still work pretty ok, if no high speeds needed.

Just use fiber for that long connection if you can. You leave lot of problems out of door.

Last edited:
Usualy CAT5(6, 7) cables based on AWG24 wires. But some special cables have AWG22 wires. I have made an installation of CCTV (IP, PoE) with two 200m side branches. It works fine. Btw, CAT@AWG22 cables need in special RJ45 connectors.