Can a RS5000 V16 *.ACD file be converted to V15

gr8benwa

RS5000 V16 *.ACD file be converted to V15?

PROBLEM
I have the V16 file and can open it with a 30 day trial version of RS5000 V16-20. I own the versions of RS5000 V10-15 already. I dont know if I will have the money to buy the software V16-20 within the next 30 days but will be extensively modifying the project sometime in the near future but next week will be making some simple mods.

here is the meat and potatoes of what I would like to know.

I have a ver 16 .acd on a 1769 L32E compactlogix controller.

can the ver 16 be converted to ver 15 THEN uploaded to the controller without any problems?

Basically I am just trying to be able to keep working for the customer with the V15 software I have without worrying what will happen if I run out of time with the 30 day trial software.
============================================================
****I will attach the .acd file if anyone knows how to make it a V15 file.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

thanks , bennie

see if this helps ... check the warnings ...

can the ver 16 be converted to ver 15 THEN uploaded to the controller without any problems?

not 100% sure that I understand what you're trying to do - but probably the answer is "no" ... if the processor is Version 16, then you'll need Version 16 of RSLogix5000 to "talk" to it - or to download the program ...

and be CAREFUL with your terminology ... in Allen-Bradley you DOWNload TO the processor FROM the programming computer ... when you say UPload you're talking about a transfer FROM the processor TO your programming computer ...

grain_warnings.jpg

Attachments

• Grain_15.zip
    195.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Below are the features to change a v16 project to v15. However, your computer MUST contain the matching version of the controller to go online. If you have a v16 controller, you must have v16 software. Converting the file is not the answer.

Converting:

1. Open your project version (16) in RSLogix
  2. Select File ==> Save As
  3. Change the Save as type setting to RSLogix 5000 Import/Export (*.L5K). It is not necessary to change the file name.
  4. After the export is complete, minimize RSLogix and navigate to the location of your exported file.
  5. Open the file using Windows Notepad.
  6. Look down around the 11th line for text that says "IE_VER := 2.7". That 2.7 represents version 16.
  7. Change the IE_Ver to 2.6 and save the file.
  8. Close Notepad.
  9. Move the file to the computer with v15 installed.
  10. From RSLogix v15 click File ==> Open and select your modified .L5K file. Click Open
  11. You might change the name of the .ACD file to avoid overwriting the original.
  12. In the bottom left, change the Revision from 16 to 15.
  13. Click Import.
  14. View the Errors window and see if any Errors occurred during the import. Warnings usually are ok, but an error will cause the import to fail.
OG

Thanks for your help, both of you! I will try Rons file and see what happens. Also I am thankful to operaghost for explaining the procedure to change the version. Ron I did make the mistake of saying upload but glad you knew what I meant to say so thanks for the file!

How can one tell what version the controller is under normal circumstances?

How can one tell what version the controller is under normal circumstances?

we usually navigate to the processor in RSLinx - then Right-Click on it and check the Properties ...

if you have an offline ACD file you can open that in Notepad ... there'll be a header at the top of the file that will tell you what version was used to create it - and then a history of all of the saves ... be sure to check the entry at the very END of the header - to be sure what version of the software was used for the final save ...

CAUTION ... do NOT save the ACD file when you close Notepad ... you just want to peek into the file to see the version number ... saving it will almost certainly make a total mess of the file ...

Last edited:
ok I opened up Ron's file into my laptop with the V15 on it and it looks good with no errors. Now here is the part I do not understand.

Day One: I connected to the processor with RsLinx with my laptop that had RSLOGIX v15. When I attempted to UPload the file to my laptop. A pop-up dialog window said "firmware 16.03 update was needed". This is what I am confused about. Firmware would be the controller right?? Why would I need to update the controllers firmware to 16.03 if the logic on it was created by 16.03? Shouldnt it have firmware 16.03 on it already if the controller version needs to match the logic's version? OR was this a generic message caused by me attempting to use RSlogix v15 on a controller that is v16? I just dont understand why the controller was "asking" for a firmware update.

Maybe this is the best way to ask this question. What are the normal circumstances where upon attempting to connect to a controller that you would be informed that a firmware update would be necessary?

With the processor is out of factory it is shipped with the lowest firmware level, then when the user download his/her application to it, the firmware is updated to match the revision the application is created. So in your case it is matched for V16.03.

For your case you may do this

1. Connect the communication cable to the PLC and ensure you can see it in RSLinx.
2. Open the V15 application.
3. Hit 'download'
4. Warning says 'Firmware update is needed, do you wanted to continue. Click Yes.
5. After the update is completed the program will be downloaded.

Regards