What is DeviceNet & ControlNet?

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I am on a quest for knowledge.đź“š Over the years I have become very familiar with RS-232, 485 and Ethernet but have had no experience with ControlNet or DeviceNet. I was hoping that someone on the forum could help me understand what these protocols are.
Here are a few questions that are bouncing around in my head:
What kind of service are they used in?
What kind of standard do they use? RS-485, 232, Ethernet or ??
How does it compare to Ethernet/IP?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
Any other info you would like to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for helping me understand these items,
Chris

Devicenet is based on the CAN electrical interface, and has a troubleshooting manual as thick as my arm. It maxes out at 512kbps
ControlNet's main advantage that I see is that it is deterministic, as you "schedule" the network, saying "I want this data every 5ms" and the protocol ensures you get the data every 5ms. I'm pretty sure the electrical interface is controlnet specific, but it uses coax cable. You can have redundant networks too, incase one network fails. It maxes out at 8mbps.
I haven't seen any Ethernet/IP devices go over 1Gbps, but most still only do 10/100mbps

I've worked with DeviceNet, but I'm not very fond of it. It is typically used to interface low level devices such as motor starters, relays and limit switches directly to a PLCs shared memory via a bus controller. While it offers significant data exchange, thereby making these low level devices "smarter", it has it's drawbacks. Bulky cable with power on separate conductors means 5 terminations per device in a daisy chain, so you don't really reduce wiring. The baud rate and total node number per network are both rather low. Besides, it only adds another expensive oddball network to your control system to be serviced with proprietary interface equipment. It's a nice system for small OEM packages, I suppose. It was originally developed for use in automobiles.

ControlNet is typically used to connect AB Remote I/O devices such as remote I/O chassis or Flex I/O or to provide a programming interface or peer-to-peer processor communications. It is based upon the fieldbus standard and is basically an upgrade of the old proprietary AB DH+ and RIO networks that ran on "blue hose" twinaxial cable. ControlNet can also serve as a backbone for DeviceNet networks.

correct me if im wrong, but doesnt controlnet also allow connecting some newer allen bradley drives to the plc as well?

or was that devicenet lol