How to open RealVNC connection with WonderWare Intouch?

OdinIII

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use buttons on an Intouch window to open a RealVNC connection. I have created the .vnc files that just require clicking with a mouse on the desktop and HDD root of the machine but I'm stuck there.

Is the StartApp command the correct way to do this? Is there another way that would be best?

Thanks

StartApp would be the correct function call for executing an application from within InTouch. Use ActivateApp to bring an already opened program to the foreground. I think StartApp only works with .exe files though.

Last edited:
StartApp will also work with batch files.

Thanks guys.

I did try to just run the .bat but the WW button doesn't seem to do anything. This system is still on WW 7.0, maybe the newer versions run .bat?

I figured out shortly after posting that I could run .exe files but I haven't been able to make a working .exe yet. I'm trying to use Iexpress.exe to make the .exe but all I'm getting is a flash of what looks like a "command" window. I've only had a few minutes to work on this since posting so I haven't given it a good try yet.

Here is "FAQ" from WW support site....

FAQ: Can StartApp be used to run a .bat file?
KO ID:2303 Products:InTouch
Issue:
Issue Summary: FAQ: Can StartApp be used to run a .bat file?
Issue Description:
Can the InTouch StartApp function be used to run a .bat file?
Resolution:
Resolution Summary: StartApp can be used to execute a batch file (.bat) from InTouch.
Resolution Description: StartApp can be used to execute a batch file (.bat) from InTouch. The syntax is: StartApp "C:\Myfile.bat";

Ok, It's working now. Thanks again.

I'm not sure what happened although I have an idea. I just changed my batch file name from basement.bat to base.bat and it worked. After counting the letters multiple times I decided that there were actually 8 characters in basement so that couldn't be the problem. I then renamed it back to basement.bat and it still works. The only thing I can think of is recently I've been doing simple edits without shutting down the runtime with no problems and maybe it caught up with me. I did go up there earlier and restarted Intouch so I bet that is it.

Thanks again, I'll follow SOP next time.