Swapping RSView activations.

S_Foster

I'm pretty new to Allen Bradley PLC's and I was wondering, is it possible to swap an activation for a running instance of RSView from works to runtime. I have a pc running a project that only needs to use the runtime activation but it is using the works activation. I would like to use the works activation on another computer, how would i do this?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum!

What Version RSView are you using?

i.e. RSView32 V7.5

What type of Activation?

If it still uses the old EVRSI Master Disk Activation, you will have to find the Master Disks for both, and move the Activation(s) back to the Floppy(s). You can then move the Runtime Activation to the original PC, and move the Works Activation to the new PC.

Stu.....

If you are using the old EVRSI activations, which use the "EVMove" utility, you cannot move the activation while the software is running.

The standard Rockwell Software procedure is to shut down all applications and services (including RSLinx Classic) that are using EVRSI before moving an activation. If you do not, the utility will either fail to move the activation or it will corrupt the activation file.

The modern FactoryTalk Activation system would perform a "re-host" procedure, which deletes the activation from the computer and tells the RA activation servers that it's available to be re-issued to another computer. Functionally this has the same effect; you need to shut down the runtime software and add a new activation, then you can "re-host" the old one.