Digital Oscilloscope recommendations

Clevername

So I've been given the task to update some of our test equipment. We currently have some old crt scopes (which I like) and it seems nearly everything is digital now. My last run in with old fluke or tektronix digital scopes was pretty crappy. They would either not trigger, take 15 minutes to set up or figure out, not responsive for looking for anything fast, etc etc etc.

Tell me ole guru's before I drop a few grand on a new scopes whats your opinions or any recommended ones?

Well, you didn't specify how many channels you need, or the speed. Details, details... :)

But we have four Rigol 1102E's here at work, and they are cheap (but not cheaply made), durable (I've dropped ours from five feet up, not even a scratch), and it *usually* triggers nicely (I'll use the single trigger for really crummy signals, but usually it's not necessary).

It's a two channel DSO rated at 100Mhz, and they go for $400.

Last edited:
I could get away with a dual channel but I'd "like" to get some nicer faster equipment. :D I'm sure I could come up with "some" reason for the expense!

The most important thing to look at is the sample rate, is it fast enough to get a good samlpe of the signal you are viewing. There are a lot of scopes out there but if you get one that is not up to what you need it realy will not matter how much you pay for it.

Sounds like you've got your heart set on something faster, but for the analog noise and serial communications issues I deal with, the 100MHz bandwidth of the dual channel Rigol DS1102 is sufficient.

I, too, paid about $400 USD. One decision factor was the youtube review and a collection of tutorials

youtube review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdjpbWLi7UI

5 or 6 part Training Series on the Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope, (same scope, just 50MHz bandwidth)

part 1, introduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KnDoL8cCM

I could get away with a dual channel but I'd "like" to get some nicer faster equipment. :D I'm sure I could come up with "some" reason for the expense!

We really like the Rigols here. I have my own 1102E, so I was familiar with it. Mine's been knocking around in my truck for two years and never has had a problem.

Anyways, we use it a lot for DeviceNet troubleshooting, and unless the signal is all over the place (which it sometimes is...), it has no problem triggering.

Usually it's just a matter of hooking up the leads and hitting the "Auto" button.

It's going to give you the same 8-bit resolution that nearly all digital scopes do, so depending on your needs, a digital might not be the best choice for you.

And like all DSO's you get artifacts, something that an analog scope doesn't have to deal with (much).

This book by Michael Geier has a very nice section on the pros and cons of Digital vs Analog (overall a great book!).

http://www.amazon.com/How-Diagnose-...&keywords=how+to+repair+everything+electronic

...5 or 6 part Training Series on the Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope, (same scope, just 50MHz bandwidth)

Actually, just a few resistors and a firmware change difference from the 1102E. When I bought mine, I was torn between getting the 1052E for $200 less and hacking it, or just plunking down the extra $200 and being done with it.

I took the coward's way out... :)

I'll assume you guys purchased from:

http://www.tequipment.net/

Nope. I got mine from www.rigolna.com, and the DS1102E is currently listed for the same price of $399.

They seem to be the cheapest. I can get myself in some trouble on there.

No doubt! :)

Gonna get;
Scopes:
DS4014
DS1102

The DS4014 is a lot of scope. Way more than what I need. Keep in mind that you will probably want to explore the accessories tabs...

Pulse Gen:
DG1022

The DG1022 is a bit underpowered (IMHO), I would rather bump that up to a 2000 or a 4000 series F/AWG. It all depends on what you plan on doing, my gear is for hobby electronics, I doubt that I would ever need a F/AWG for work.

P/S:
DP1308

Nice, but I would much rather have the DP1116A since I don't ever see a need for the -25 volt channel of the 1308, and the 1308 max's out at 1 amp.