PLC5 RIO file in rsl5000

mike_dr

Long time, no post. :) currently using L63 as controller, i am planning to make plc 5 racks with 1771-asb/B as RIO. In rslogix 5000 v17, I created the 1756-RIO under I/O config and created new RIO file.In the RIO file, I cannot see 1771-IAD,OAD when choosing the modules. If -IAD is in R02_G0_S0 since it is an input and -OAD is in R02_G1_S1 being an output(did I get that right?).

rack 02
- rack 02 IO Grp 0-> 5
- R02_G0_S0: discrete <1771-IAD
- R02_G0_S1: discrete
- R02_G1_S0: discrete
- R02_G1_S1: discrete <1771-OAD

or should i leave it as discrete and just map out the i/o?thank you in advance

The most common RIO addressing method is "16-point single slot" addressing. If you have all 16-point modules, and the system is relatively small, there's a high chance that you are using single-slot addressing.

In single-slot addressing, the "Slot number" is always zero. The physical module locations in a 1771 chassis are logical "groups".

Are you trying to re-use existing 1771 chassis that already have wired I/O modules in them ?

If so, it's worth it to carefully examine the wire numbers and the DIP switch settings to determine the RIO addressing mode.

If you are installing these 1771 chassis as part of a new project, and are addressing them from scratch, it's simplest to assume single-slot addressing.

yes Ken Roach, this is an existing plc 5 and thank you for correcting me. I will match the RIO file with the chassis configuration. My Only question now is why can't I select IAD and OAD in the modules in 56RIOCfgScan. unless that's just how it is and I just need your advice on how to deal about it.

I would like to add that when I export alias file then import to the logix I have "incorrect reference/base tags" for the alias tags created for the rack,Generic BTW Data 00, BTR Error Bit, etc except for rack 0. any suggestions?

Is it overkill to put 20 as BTR map length for 1771-IAD and 20 as BTW map length for 1771-OAD?

I saw in IFE has 12 BTR and OFE has 4 BTW but they are analog.

BTW: The diagram in the first post is just what is written in 56RIOCfg but the 9 racks(some empty but I still placed an empty rack in the rio file) uses single slot addressing.

There is a BT module but I read that it is only for analog modules or block transfer. Is that the alternative for IAD and OAD modules?

EDIT: I just read in knowledgebase that IAD and OAD are not supported by RIO so either use BT module or create a template described in appendix C of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um534_-en-p.pdf

You are getting side-tracked - all of the modules shown in appendix C are ANALOG I/O modules, which need Block Transfers to squeeze larger amounts of data through effectively a 16-bit doorway.

-IAD and -OAD are DIGITAL modules, and do not use, or support Block Transfers.

The 16-bit data area will be set-up automatically when you put the ASB modules into the I/O configuration.

Apologies - I see you are using 1756-RIO, not 1756-DHRIO.

But using the RIO configuration tool does similar to what I said for the DHRIO, it automatically creates the tags that allow data exchange with your IAD and OAD DIGITAL (or DISCRETE) modules.

You only need to set up Block Transfers for Analog and other "high-level" modules.

RIO.jpg

to further clarify, I am using a 1756 RIO interface not a DHRIO module. Is that correct? I don't see any module defined IO tag because I need to map it in 1756 RIO configuration tool(found by clicking Remote IO tab in 1756 RIO properties)
photostream

If I leave the the slot as digital the IO won't get mapped. that's the reason why I thought I needed BT modules
photostream

EDIT
@daba: OK, now I get it.so what I only map in the RIO file are Analog modules, that's the reason why there is no IAD/OAD in there.sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for the help daba and Ken Roach :)

Last edited:
analog I/O

Just wanted to be sure on this. I have 1771- IFE/C and OFE in the racks with 1771-ASB and I used BTR in the rslogix 5000 program, for example, to get the analog inputs from IFE card in rack 2, group 4,slot 0.I set destination element to MSG_FROM_Rack2 tag which is int[10] type. So my question is, is the 1st channel/analog input of 1771-IFE the MSG_FROM_RACK2[0]? thank you in advance.

Is the type always converted to INT when RIO is used regardless of card or other 3rd part module?

Last edited:
have you experienced in IO configuration in rslogix 5 that the plc-5 16-slot main rack has cards in every slot except in group 0?obviously the processor is in place but no card was mapped to 0/0/0. is there filler modules?