Factorytalk Pushbutton Help

Here's the situation I'm calling a single display in which I use parameters to assign different tags to a single button, my problem is that I need that button to latch while disabling other tags that the same button triggers.

DISPLAY A uses 3 parameters
- DISPLAY A-1 which has 'Button 1' (tagged "z")
- DISPLAY A-2 which has 'Button 1' (tagged "y")
- DISPLAY A-3 which has 'Button 1' (tagged "x")

If I press 'Button 1' in DISPLAY A-1, (tag "z") should latch and have a value of 1 while (tag "y") and (tag "x") should have a value of 0. Then if I press 'Button 1' in DISPLAY A-2, (tag "y") should latch and have a value of 1 while unlatching (tag "z"), then (tag "z") and (tag "x") should have a value of 0. That goes for every button.

Please feel free to ask any questions for clarification

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

My humble opinion would be to do the latching in the PLC.

ie Tag "z" if 1 should unlatch Tag "y" and Tag "z" - all done within the PLC.

Thanks! ianingram that will solve it :)

But I'm still thinking of a way to do it in Factorytalk, I was hoping of a way where a can put a command in a push button where I can easily tell it that if I press 'Button 1' (tag "z") then it will automatically send these values to the tags that are affected, ie z=1, x=0, y=0

Thanks! ianingram that will solve it :)

But I'm still thinking of a way to do it in Factorytalk, I was hoping of a way where a can put a command in a push button where I can easily tell it that if I press 'Button 1' (tag "z") then it will automatically send these values to the tags that are affected, ie z=1, x=0, y=0

You can do that by using a macro IF you were using a static display..

But since you said that you are using parameter files, I am unsure if you can call a macro to run with the parameter fileo_O

(Just read the help file, the "tag placeholders" that you use with parameter files cannot be used with macros)

Last edited:
Trust me, listen to Ian above. Do your latch/unlatch logic in the PLC.
FTView SE is extremely unreliable when trying to deal with multiple tags at one time on writes.
It is actually so unreliable, that I generally have to code into the PLC's logic to forcibly release HMI pushbuttons if they have been maintained for more then 500ms. So much so, I wrote an AOI to handle that logic. A royal pain.

Hi
Just to add you could create a udt and then AOI in your plc and this would make it a lot easier and will also make it a lot easier to add new buttons. I also would do the screens as you are doing I find it brill for fast screen creation

Just my thoughts

Donnchadh

Posting the Private Message conversation because Ken said that the suggestion worked for him and so, maybe others having the same problem can refer to it and find it useful as well:

The real situation is this I have 6 bins, I have to select/deselect them before I can start my operation.

1.) If I select the 1st bin it should deselect the latest selected bin
ie: 1st bin = 1
the rest = 0

2.) Then if the 1st bin is full, I should select another bin, let's say the 2nd bin, same process at #1
ie: 2nd bin = 1
the rest = 0

and so on.

I can't use the interlocked push buttons because I'm using a single display which uses 6 different parameter files to assign to each tag

I already used the plc for the logic, but any ideas/shortcuts/ways are appreciated 🤞🏻

Anirban Hazra said:
Using plc for the logic is the best way to do it, which you have already done.

If it was me, I would do it like this:

1.First I would create a Numberpad in the HMI.

2.The number buttons in it would be such that whatever number is pressed on it that number bit becomes high in a data register.
For example:
If number 2 is pressed, this data is moved to the register: 00000010
for number 3: 00000100
for number 5: 00010000
etc..

3.Then this data is used in the program to select the correct bin with a logic like this:

| Bin 2
|-[Data = 2]--------( )
|
| Bin 3
|-[Data = 4]--------( )
|
| Bin 5
|-[Data = 16]-------( )
|

As you can see, in this method the data moved is such that only one bit is high at a time and so the other bins automatically get deselected.
thanks you! sir, that way I can control lots of bins using the binary without the worry of interlocks. thanks a lot! :geek:

Last edited: