1771-NIV plc-5

jrowe4

All, I turn to the wisdom of someone much more smarter than me. I have a guided wave level transmitter that I am installing inside a tank. The transmitter outputs a 4-20mA signal. The only analog module in my rack at the moment is a 1771-NIV isolated analog module. I would not like to install a 1771-IFE for one analog input, so I would like to use the 1771-NIV. I looked at the documentation for the card, and it states that for the NIV the channels use +5v(+20mA) signals. Will my 4-20mA signal work with this card?

This is the documentation I was looking at
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um127_-en-p.pdf

Is it a "loop fed" (2-wire) transmitter or a separately power supplied (4-wire) one?

Last edited:
An isolated analog input (you lucky dog!) should work with just about any current transmitter 4-20 mA input. You may need the appropriate power supply for the PLC input.

Last edited:
Looks like it is a loop fed transmitter that requires 13/14-30 VDC. So I can just terminate my wires and I'm good to go? Thanks for the help!

Not so fast though...the 1771-NIV module does not supply loop power to any attached transmitters...the 1771-NIC does...See page A-6 of the link you have provided...

Ahhhhh you are correct. I just checked the PLC cab. again and found a 24VDC supply hidden in the back! I will throw this into the loop and at this point I believe I am all set. Thanks all for the help, much appreciated!

On a side note I am not really familar with using a +5VDC input as this card states the channel inputs are, this is what threw me off. I wasnt aware I could still use a 4-20mA connection to the channel input.

Last edited:
Yes, you should be able to use any four-wire 4-20mA transmitter wired up on a 0-5VDC 1771-NIV input point after you add a 250 Ohm precision resistor across the input's (+) and (-) terminals (in parallel with your transmitter's output).
The analog voltage input point will "read" the voltage "dropped" across the resistor when the transmitter "drives" a 4-20mA current; straight up Ohm's Law.

Last edited:
All 4-20 mA PLC inputs are really 1-5 VDC inputs to a VCO for the A/D converter. Some modules have the resistors built in and some don't. Some use jumpers and some provide alternative terminal board assignments for voltage or current inputs.