Hardware based Bidirectional Data Exchange (PLC to MS SQL)

ViperDaSnake

Hey Guys,

Our corporate standard for DB is MS SQL.

I am looking for a hardware device that will manage bidirectional data exchanges between the PLC and MS SQL.

Looking for something like the Redlion G3/Data Station devices to manage that.

I wished Redlion would just support that to be honest with you...

We retrieve recipe information from SQL and we also use SQL for data logging.

We use Omron and AB PLC's so it will need to interface with that.

We currently use a Desktop PC for Omron and
eATM : http://www.oldi.com/controllogix/index.aspx
for AB.

Just looking for something industrial that does not require a desktop computer.

If I had to, I could live with something that would interface with a Redlion G3 device for the PLC side of things.
Unless this could replace a Redlion, I would like for it to be able to communicate with a Redlion G3 device.

Any suggestions..?

Thanks
Curtis

Last edited:
OMRON NJ5 series

Omron now has a PLC with built in SQL functions. NJ5 series. I'm just about to order one for use at our factory.
The queries are pretty basic; select, insert, update, delete. But it has the commands built into the PLC code so after you setup the connection you can read and write directly from the PLC to the DB on the network.

A little pricey for Omron...

Yep,

I actually talked to them about that last week.
The price tag is a bit much compared to what I'm used to with Omron.
CXOne doesnt cover this one...
and the special NJ software is not exactly cheap either... :(

It's definitely new territory price wise for Omron. But I bugged them about the price and they came down a bunch. It's still a lot more then I expect from Omron but when I compare it to having to use a PC with an OPC client to do this and the time to set that up I am pretty even on this.

If i needed a PLC and SQL, then I could easily justify this, but...
The equipment is already under a PLC.
I just need to start data capture on existing equipment, in multiple locations.