Getting Started

Juan Tavares

I am currently about half way done with earning a degree in automation. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice to better prepare myself for the job market once I have my degree, ie: certifications, affiliations etc.

What school are you attending and what degree are they offering? A degree from an accredited school should get you invited for more interviews than membership in any professional or trade organizations. A co-op assignment or internship will carry plenty of weight with prospective employers. I lean in favor of co-op programs on the theory that if they're willing to pay you for your time they're more likely to give you meaningful assignments. Avoid unpaid internships. They only send the message that you're willing to work for nothing, and any employer that utilizes unpaid labor is unlikely to assign the unpaid intern to anything of substance.