ControlLogix to M340

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a technote from Schneider on making this work, but all the formats are SINT format, whereas our standard in the CLX are DINT/FLOAT.
Does anyone have any examples for CLX to M340, rather than M340 to CLX?

Hi

I have connected others items that where sint but not the plc you are talking about. You could created sint array in the clx and use a btd to place the sint into dint or int if this is what you need.

You could also post the tech note you have and maybe this might guide someone here to give. Better answer

Donnchadh

For EtherNet/IP Class 1 or Implicit communications, Logix platform as scanner -> M340 as adapter is the way to go. The M340 can act as either scanner or adapter, but the ControlLogix can't so this is the general way to do Class1 comms between the platforms. Also be sure to disable QoS on the M340 if you are using older FW revs from the Logix - Rockwell didn't support DSCP values other than zero so this can lead to problems (mostly fixed in newer firmware revs as far as I can tell). Easy enough to disable in the M340 configuration.

To EtherNet/IP, they are just bytes on the wire so there is nothing intrinsic about using 16 or 32 bit words. The M340 can make it easier for you though - if you look at the first picture: by default they are just an array of bytes, but it is possible to group them. I have grouped the first 8 bytes into two double words. In fact, this is quite flexible and there is no need to make them all the same type. The next 16 bits could be a word, then back to double words, etc. I think there are some boundary rules which may cause some padding, but at least there are options.

The second screenshot is how to change the number of bytes transferred in each direction (adjustable) and shows the instances required to use when setting up a generic device in RSLogix5000.

DWORDConfig.jpg SizeConfig.jpg

Hi

I have connected others items that where sint but not the plc you are talking about. You could created sint array in the clx and use a btd to place the sint into dint or int if this is what you need.

You could also post the tech note you have and maybe this might guide someone here to give. Better answer

Donnchadh
I have also done multiple 'generic' items in the CLX, but nothing with the M340 yet. Technote is larger than forum limit for uploading. I think this is a locally generated note as well, not from anywhere 'higher up' in the schneider world.

The M340 natively supports DINTs and Floats so I'm not sure what your issue is
Just going from the technote supplied by local support. I'm guessing that SINT is what the writer was used to, so stuck with that, not realising that in the CLX world everything is DINT of FLOAT.

For EtherNet/IP Class 1 or Implicit communications, Logix platform as scanner -> M340 as adapter is the way to go. The M340 can act as either scanner or adapter, but the ControlLogix can't so this is the general way to do Class1 comms between the platforms. Also be sure to disable QoS on the M340 if you are using older FW revs from the Logix - Rockwell didn't support DSCP values other than zero so this can lead to problems (mostly fixed in newer firmware revs as far as I can tell). Easy enough to disable in the M340 configuration.
What is Class 1? The technote is similar to a setup I have with a SICK safety PLC, the function just works without doing any code at the CLX end. This does make it nice & easy.
In this setup, you create your in/out arrays & that is it. The SICK scanner does all the rest, which I'm guessing is what the M340 does.
Your saying the CLX cannot act as an adaptor, but is this not what the SICK PLC & M340 is doing with their config?

To EtherNet/IP, they are just bytes on the wire so there is nothing intrinsic about using 16 or 32 bit words. The M340 can make it easier for you though - if you look at the first picture: by default they are just an array of bytes, but it is possible to group them. I have grouped the first 8 bytes into two double words. In fact, this is quite flexible and there is no need to make them all the same type. The next 16 bits could be a word, then back to double words, etc. I think there are some boundary rules which may cause some padding, but at least there are options.

The second screenshot is how to change the number of bytes transferred in each direction (adjustable) and shows the instances required to use when setting up a generic device in RSLogix5000.

I have no doubt that this will work, just have no M340/Unity experience so want to see what knowledge is on here.

OT, is inter-brand PLC comms becoming a lot more common for other folk as well?

Hi

"Just going from the technote supplied by local support. I'm guessing that SINT is what the writer was used to, so stuck with that, not realising that in the CLX world everything is DINT of FLOAT."

Sorry but maybe I am missing something but you can set up SINT word in the clx, as I also would have to set up words in SINT type array to talk to some items.

Donnchadh

Hi
Sorry but maybe I am missing something but you can set up SINT word in the clx, as I also would have to set up words in SINT type array to talk to some items.

Donnchadh

Think maybe lost in translation a wee bit. I have no issues with the SINT format at either end, just since CLX is a 32bit CPU, & almost every item that is a representation of an analogue no is in 32bit FLOAT format, just makes sense to setup the comms as such.

I have since had correspondence with the M340/Unity programmer & they have done what we are after before.
I was just trying to see if anyone here had done the M340-> CLX config

What is Class 1? The technote is similar to a setup I have with a SICK safety PLC, the function just works without doing any code at the CLX end. This does make it nice & easy.
In this setup, you create your in/out arrays & that is it. The SICK scanner does all the rest, which I'm guessing is what the M340 does.
Your saying the CLX cannot act as an adaptor, but is this not what the SICK PLC & M340 is doing with their config?

Class 1 is the real name for the Implicit communications that can be done with EtherNet/IP. EIP is a suite of protocols - not just one - and just because it says EtherNet/IP support DOES NOT mean it will work with other devices that support EtherNet/IP. There is explicit messaging too, with different types: Class 3 or connected, UCMM, you could use Unconnected Sends...

And no, Rockwell PLCs do not contain Class 1 adapter or slave functionality. I can't really follow what you mean by the Sick and M340, but for the M340 it will be using Class 1 scanner (Logix) and the M340 NOC 0401 device would be the adapter. I presume the Sick device is doing the same, but there is some small chance it is playing with Produced/Consumed tags so I can't be certain. The M340 will actually consume a produced tag from a Logix system, but I haven't seen much need for this.

It would be helpful to post the technote Schneider gave to you - I know it's too big, but can you split it up? I have had to integrate both platforms as your doing on several occasions and can always get it to work but I have not seen good documentation from Schneider on how to do so. I wonder if I do it the way they recommend...