PLC on Cars

Im not much of an automobile engineers and maybe am totally wrong, but as far as i know, PLCs were never designed to work in the nano sec or the micro second range. they are more of milli sec devices. Should that tell you something. I dont know what type of responses automobiles may require..but assume you are negotiating a banking or a steep curve or a bump suddenly, shouldnt you system response be rather instantaneous.

Maybe you could use a pico controller to open a car door..on second thoughts, it could just cost you a couple of more 100 $$

Someone please correct me!!

I don't know why you would want to (doing the DARPA challenge maybe?), they aready have several embedded controllers onboard (which are better suited for the purpose anyways).

John

I've seen the fuel injection system on a motocycle run by a SLC. I would expect that a car could run in open loop as long as the variables dont change to much. Ie temp, load fuel quality. Some drag cars with cheaper FI systems run in open loop anyway, but they are usually wide open or idling.

Everything in my car SAAB 9-5 is controlled by "PLC:s", ignition, motor control,heating etc. I think there is a CAN-bus between the different parts?

AD used to sponsor a racing team, (they might still), and I read an artical that they used a DL205 to control and monator a bunch of stuff on that car.

Embedded controllers of course, what else can there be?

CAN bus is widely used in microprocessor technology. Why not in automotive systems?

I thought CAN was developed for automotive applications. The idea of power carried on the same cable as the communication signal came from the desire to connect all the gizmos in the car without so much wiring.

As far as having a PLC control the car... Sure, I think a PLC could do most of it: turn signals, steering, cruise control, wipers, throttle, brakes, horn that plays "Yankee Doodle," GPS, onboard DVD player, Cuisinart. Why not? Most of the timing has to do with the driver (who probably doesn't even have millisecond timing). I don't think I'd use a PLC to control the air bags, though. But, those systems (the vitals) should be more of a black-box anyway. They're programmed for that one function and don't really need or want any outside interference.

AK

For vehicles, look at "EPEC" and "AMOT" controls. Used for on and off highway vehicles. Also, IFM makes a controller for vehicles, but not sold in N. America. (I used to have a bonafide name and password but they both elude me).

When I was in college, I worked on our school's Future Truck team.http://www.futuretruck.org/

Actually, it was originally future car and later evolved into future truck.

We developed a number of hybred electric vehicles, bringing one to the national competion every year.

When I first joined the team (back in 1997), our vehicle's systems were all run with a SLC. It wasn't long thereafter that the controller was replaced with a custom design based on a PC/104 Single Board Computer, with various I/O cards.

The IFM controller refered to above is the IFM Ecomat R360. It is available in the US - I am using them. Here's a link - http://www.ifmefector.com/ifmus/web/mobile_info.htm

If you need a rugged plc for mobile equipment, it's worth a look. Extreme temperature and vibration ratings, 10-30 vdc power, 4 amp outputs for driving hydraulic valves, CANOpen, and SAE J1939 for connecting to diesel engines. The kicker is, it's more economical than a standard industrial plc.

Kevin Hammond

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin, glad to see IFM has the Ecomat in USA now. Their website even shows some mobile construction machines built by my company's Scandinavian units. Makes me wonder if the DARPA challenge would have gone better with some PLC type controls, instead of all the exotic computers I read about!