RSLogix 5000 Device Net programming

hewilson425

I am trying to program a controllogix with a 1756-dnb card to operate a powerflex 700 drive with a 20-comm-d card in ladder logic programming. Any help will be appreciated.o_O

I try to use a common setup and then use COP to map them into a couple of UDT's
(one from, the other to the drive) so I do not have to remember which bit (or INT) does what
- The UDT also helps in self documenting the code. (or use the Devicenet tag generator - never had much success with that)

Ask yourself will you ever need datalinks? it's always easier to add now than later
If the link is not used much then allow in the DNB mapping so addresses do not change later.

Last edited:
what I need is a step by step tutorial on setting this up and programming it. does anyone know where i can find one? I've tried to decypher the original program for info but it's so proprietary, I can't make heads or tails of it.

what I need is a step by step tutorial on setting this up and programming it. does anyone know where i can find one? I've tried to decypher the original program for info but it's so proprietary, I can't make heads or tails of it.

Do you have RSNetworx for Devicenet?

Is there a DNT File included as part of the Documentation for the Project?

Is this VFD already part of the Devicenet Network, or are you trying to add it?

As for a step by step, there is a lot of information out there, but it isn't going to give you a step by step guide for your exact situation.

Have a look at this Manual.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/dnet-um004_-en-p.pdf

Stu....

Then how does the plc know which device to send the commands to or get status from if the node isn't in the address?

I've got RSNetworx for DeviceNet but the existing program was configured with RSLinx.

It's a project that's existing but I'm trying to reconfigure it. The owners have moved a bunch of the controlled equipment around.

Then how does the plc know which device to send the commands to or get status from if the node isn't in the address?

The Program doesn't know, the Programmer does. The only thing that matters is where the Programmer mapped the I/O in the DNB Scanner with RSNetworx for Devicenet.

I've got RSNetworx for DeviceNet but the existing program was configured with RSLinx.

I am afraid that is incorrect. Devicenet must be Configured with RSNetworx.

It's a project that's existing but I'm trying to reconfigure it. The owners have moved a bunch of the controlled equipment around.

If the DNB I/O Mapping hasn't been changed, then the Addresses will be the same. The only thing that will have changes is the Physical Network wiring.

Stu....

hewilson425; said:

The Node Address is separate. The scanner contains a scanlist with a list of node numbers and a list of the input and output mapping for each device.

hewilson425; said:

Not possible. RSLinx is required to access the network, but RSNetworx for Devicenet in some form or fashion is required to configure the scanner. I think some version of RSLogix5k may inegrate RSNetworx for Devicenet but still there is s scan-list. Look for that *.dnt file Stu mentioned. If you don't find it, you can upload it from a running scanner.

Paul

Last edited: