Duty Stand by Operation of VFD's

amb2000

Dear Friends,

I am an Elect Engineer from Low Voltage and absolutely a beginner in PLC.
Any of you please help me in Selecting A PLC and associated hardware in Schneider for duty standby operation of 3 VFD's controlling 3 different pumps.
I am new to this field, Please help brothers.

1. What is the brand, model, and motor rating for the 3 VFDs and pumps?
2. Does the Schneider PLC control anything else in addition to the VFDs and pumps?
3. Are the VFDs and Pumps to be controlled by pushbutton and selector switches, or from an operator graphic panel (HMI panel)?

1. What is the brand, model, and motor rating for the 3 VFDs and pumps?
2. Does the Schneider PLC control anything else in addition to the VFDs and pumps?
3. Are the VFDs and Pumps to be controlled by pushbutton and selector switches, or from an operator graphic panel (HMI panel)?
Sorry for the delay dear, 3 VFD's are Schneider Altivar 21 - 45KW. These VFD's are controlled by push buttons and PLC as well with a selector switch. PLC to take care the duty standby operations only for these pumps. If any of the duty pumps tripped, the standbye should work (2Duty + 1 Standby)

These VFD's are controlled by push buttons and PLC as well with a selector switch.
Programmable Logic Controller:
PLC Outputs:
Your Schneider PLC will need about 5 Digital Outputs for each VFD X 3 Pumps = 15 Output terminals.

If you want to transmit a VFD Speed Setpoint directly from your PLC to the VFD for each pump, you would need 1 Analog Output for each pump.

PLC Inputs: Your Schneider PLC could use up to 8 digital Inputs for Man-Auto, Forward-Reverse, Stop, Start, Jog, Preset Speeds, and so on for each VFD, x 3 = 24 digital Inputs.

If you use a HMI operator panel, then you might need a PLC analog input to allow sending a Speed Setpoint from the HMI to the PLC.

Adding it up:
Outputs: 15 digital, 1 analog
Inputs: 24 digital, 1 analog

Suitable PLC: Perhaps a TWIDO model TWDLCDA40DRF; 24 V DC supply, 24 Inputs, 16 Outputs, no analog.

Variable Speed Drives
ALTIVAR model ATV 21HD45N4 is rated for 45 KW, 3 phase, 50 or 60 Hz, 380 to 480 volts, 94 Amps continuous output current, UL Type 1 (IP-20) indoor enclosure.

I recommend the following VFD Options: PCSoft software workshop for setting up and configuring the 3 drives.

Last edited: