Multiple I/O Configs in Allen-Bradley ML1400

madisjc

I need to create a frankenstein machine that has an additional expansion IO card, compared to the normal configuration of our machines.

I don't want to have to create a new branch of code just because of this, since I'll have to update ever new feature in two separate programs then. Is there any good way to handle this?

Do I have to write some VBA script to swap back and forth between different numbers of expansion modules?!

Thanks,
John

I need to create a frankenstein machine that has an additional expansion IO card, compared to the normal configuration of our machines.

I don't want to have to create a new branch of code just because of this

Yes, you do.

madisjc said:
...since I'll have to update ever new feature in two separate programs then. Is there any good way to handle this?

Do I have to write some VBA script to swap back and forth between different numbers of expansion modules?!

Thanks,
John

Keeping two versions would be the simpler choice in my experience. It would be different with CompactLogix, I think as far as feasibility but, I would still just have the different configurations as differently named and saved Logix files..

It is possible to turn off the bit that tells the controller to check for a configuration error. This is useful for testing without matching hardware, but if left off once commissioned, it can lead to problems when there really is an error and it gets ignored. It might be possible to script RSLogix500 Pro to check those bits as appropriate before you download...now if one slot has two alternate configurations I think you are screwed unless you could in a fault trap write the module ID to the right spot...this is way beyond too much trouble for this Okie. I just SaveAs RevB_v001...and fill in the paragraph in the revision notes window..."This version is for machines with 3 expansion modules to accomodate the following blah blah blah...".

Last edited:
Well from one okie to OkiePC, thanks for the reply. Not the answer that I had hoped for, but it is what I expected.

Thanks.