help with Bulletin 22-XCOMM-DC-BASE DSI Communications Kit

realolman

I need a crash course in this Bulletin 22-XCOMM-DC-BASE DSI Communications Kit communicating with powerflex drives and sending control "messages" from ladder logic.

I can't seem to find any good explanation of this stuff in the Rockwell stuff.

If someone could point me in the right direction, please

or if you just want to tell me how to do it.... that'd be good too.

thanks

The 22-XCOMM-DC-BASE DSI Communications Kit is being used to network "small frame" Component Class PowerFlex drives via EtherNet/IP or DeviceNet; because of the size of the drive's enclosure, a 22-COMM-E/D adapter cannot be mounted on-board hence the need for an external "mounting kit".
The kit is basicaly a 24 vdc powered DSI (RS485) to EtherNet/IP-DeviceNet converter which provides a panel mounted, accomodating housing for the 22-COMM-E/D module.

thanks for responding

a CompactLogix and a control Logix on an Ethernet network

What I need to do is stop some motors that are on the Powerflex drives

The 22-Xcomm-DC-base is connected to the same network as the Compact Logix and the COntrol Logix... along with other things

From there the drives are daisy chained RS 485

It's logically identical to an ordinary 22-COMM-E mounted on a PowerFlex 40.

With a ControlLogix-family controller, this is configured exactly like an ordinary 22-COMM-E.

With an SLC-5/05 or MicroLogix 1100 or 1400 controller, you need to use MSG instructions to control the drive. This is not the preferred method to control drives with MicroLogix, and it is generally not recommended for novice users.

Forum stalwart Bernie Carlton has a very good, thoroughly-tested ladder logic example for running PowerFlex 4-series drives using MSG instructions over Ethernet. You can search for it, or he may be along presently with another copy.