Graphing PLC data

brian1

I am interested in obtaining data from SLC5/03 through 232 port on processor and displaying it in some form on a computer. Where would find the data format that AB uses and how would I construct a communication cable to use? Many thanks.
Brian W.

Brian,

This topic have been posted on this site many times in many forms.
Please do a search on this site for "DDE and RSLinx", it shows 67 posts.

You will get a lot info from them

Good Luck

Time is money.

If you are interested in building one from scratch, then go to the AB website and search for their DF1 protocol document.

If you consider your time to have value, consider purchasing RSTrendX, an ActiveX program that be dropped into any container (Word, Excel, VB) and will do the trending for you.

RSTrendX is included, free, with RSView, RSLogix (although perhaps not the starter version), and perhaps others. You can probably get the program for free (though not especially legally), but I believe that it requrires a higher version of RSLinx Lite (which IS free) to work.

brian1 said:
how would I construct a communication cable to use?

For a SLC? If you're connecting to the DB-9 (Channel 0) port on the processor: go to RadioShack, get a female-female straight thru cable and a null-modem. It's the same cable you use for programming, where did you put that?