4 Instances of RS5000.exe running???

Paul351W

I am working on a v20 RSLogix 5000 project, and my computer started running slow, so I pulled open the task manager, and discovered there are 4 seperate processes named RS5000.exe running. One shows 234,000k of memory usage, another 169,000 and the other two are below 5,000k. However, the virtual memory for each of the processes are at or above 200,000k.

Does anyone know why one window of RSLogix is taking up almost 1GB of virtual memory and 400k of regular memory to run?

Paul has probably accidently opened 4 different copies of RSLogix5000. Each one may have a different version or copy or modified copy of the original program. I would carefully close out 3 of them, making sure to keep the last good copy of the version that I really want.

I have had RSLogix 500 hang up during loading the application, and if I try to run it again it will open, but if I open Task Manager I see multiple "RS500.exe" processes running, one with the most memory usage being the one that actually opened, the others with less memory usage being the ones that failed to load correctly and have no active window available. I usually just close the ones I can actually see and make sure my files are saved, then force a quit on the other duplicate processes.

I've had it happen with RSLinx and RSLogic500, never with 5000, but I don't use that nearly as often.

Paul has probably accidently opened 4 different copies of RSLogix5000. Each one may have a different version or copy or modified copy of the original program. I would carefully close out 3 of them, making sure to keep the last good copy of the version that I really want.

I wouldn't assume that. More likely, RSLogix5000 is failing to terminate properly upon exiting the program. I'd try to reboot and see what Task Manager shows after opening a single instance of the software.

I wouldn't assume that. More likely, RSLogix5000 is failing to terminate properly upon exiting the program. I'd try to reboot and see what Task Manager shows after opening a single instance of the software.

I think you were correct. I only had one program, and one instance of RSLogix5000 open on my PC. I saved my file, closed down the RSLogix that I could see, and used task manager to stop the other 3 RS5000.exe processes. When I re-opened RSLogix, only one RS5000.exe instance has shown up in the task manager. I will have to look for that in the future.

That's interesting - I've been working on 2 to 3 instances of RSLogix5000 all day - finished with them hours ago, saved the files and exited each instance normally (a bit slow, i thought at the time).

After reading this thread, I've just checked with Task Manager, and I have 13, yes 13, thirteen !, RS5000.exe processes active. (see pic).

This is not good.... anyone know why it is not terminating all it's processes, or how to "fix" it (obviously rebooting should fix the issues, but we shouldn't have to do that ...

2013-02-22_002016.jpg

Some of those processes are very small memory wise. Must some kind of child process (like an automatic cross reference) kicked off when doing something specific in RSL5K and it didn't close out.

Some of those processes are very small memory wise. Must some kind of child process (like an automatic cross reference) kicked off when doing something specific in RSL5K and it didn't close out.

When I had 4 processes running, some of them had very small Mem usage, but if you looked at the virtual memory usage, it was between 150,000 and 200,000kb. From that information I am pretty convinced that it is some remnant of RSLogix instead of a launcher type program.

This is definitely some sort of bug. I'm seeing it too in version 20 working in Windows XP (VMWare). I open a file, go online, make edits, save, go offline and click the "x". The RS5000.exe task does NOT end all of the time. Sometimes, the two temp files (.ACD backups) are also not deleted upon exiting RSLogix5000.

RS should be attacking these issues with vengeance - it's poor programming software that puts people off a good hardware product...

The hardware guys have got it sewn-up, once running it is extremely rare for a firmware bug to cripple a controller. But the programming software shouldn't behave the way it does, leaving processes running when closed, etc...

And what's going on when the RSLogix5000 splash screen is displayed for over 2 minutes ??? What on earth is the software doing for this time ? I've been told it's down to network issues, but RSLogix5000 is not a piece of software that needs a network, it uses RSLinx for communications...

I'd be happy to hear explanations, and i'll take my choice, but still won't be happy with a program that's unusable for 2 to 5 minutes after it has been launched !

This is definitely some sort of bug. I'm seeing it too in version 20 working in Windows XP (VMWare). I open a file, go online, make edits, save, go offline and click the "x". The RS5000.exe task does NOT end all of the time. Sometimes, the two temp files (.ACD backups) are also not deleted upon exiting RSLogix5000.

The .ACD backups are not temp files...

While you have a project open on your computer, there will be 2 files in the project directory with the same name as the open project, but these have extensions .SEM and .WRK These files are deleted automatically if the software exits normally.

Those files are put there to prevent the same project file being opened more than once by multiple instances of RSLogix5000.

If RSLogix5000 is not running, these .SEM and .WRK files are worthless, and you can delete them. They will be left if your software terminates abnormally.

The backup files (with _BAKxxx in their filename are deliberately created by RSLogix5000 every time you save a project. They give you back-tracking capability should you need it. Configure the number of backups kept in Tools->Options->Application settings.

The .ACD backups are not temp files...

While you have a project open on your computer, there will be 2 files in the project directory with the same name as the open project, but these have extensions .SEM and .WRK These files are deleted automatically if the software exits normally.

Those files are put there to prevent the same project file being opened more than once by multiple instances of RSLogix5000.

If RSLogix5000 is not running, these .SEM and .WRK files are worthless, and you can delete them. They will be left if your software terminates abnormally.

The backup files (with _BAKxxx in their filename are deliberately created by RSLogix5000 every time you save a project. They give you back-tracking capability should you need it. Configure the number of backups kept in Tools->Options->Application settings.

Sorry for the confusion. I am well aware what the .SEM and .WRK files are and that is what I meant by "backup" files I just couldn't remember the extensions off the top of my head. šŸ™ƒ

Anyway, I've noticed that the .SEM and .WRK files are not always being deleted whenever I close RSLogix5000 and that is how I discovered the RS5000.exe task was not being terminated properly.

Regarding the sometimes really slow opening of the software, my understanding is that a lot of it has to do with Factory Talk Activation. I've heard that regardless of whether you are using a local node locked activation or a licensing server, the software always seems to check everywhere the license is not, first. It is certainly a lot slower than the days of the Master Disk.