Connect 5/05 to DH+

Tim Ganz

I have a DH+ network that connect all the plc's so we can work on things from the maintenance shop. We have 1 system that used to be on DH+ also but it was changed from a 5/04 to a 5/04 plc and the serial is used so I just have ethernet.

The DH+ cable is still in the cabinet and I want to know if there is any card I can use to connect it back to the DH+ network jsut so we can monitor or program.

There is 1 space slot in the rack but not much room in the cabinet for anything else.

What could I do?

There are a few options, if you want a Rockwell solution you would add a ControlLogix rack, with a 1756-ENBT card and a 1756-DHRIO card, this effectively creates a bridge and you can drill through the networks.

This is not cheap, as you need the rack, power supply, and two comm cards.

There are other options out there from 3rd parties. There was a recent post suggesting this one:

http://www.protocolconverter.com/gw1000-abeip/

I have never used it, but it's din-rail mountable and might fit nicely in the panel you already have. I have no idea how to set it up, but I'm sure someone will chime in about it.

Let's clarify a little: your shop connection will still be on DH+, and you want to "reconnect" the SLC-5/05 to the DH+ network.

Does your shop also have a connection to the Ethernet network ?

Usually folks want to go the other way; their computers are on Ethernet and they want to connect to a DH+ network.

Do not assume that a device that's describe as being an "Ethernet to DH+ bridge" will necessarily work in the way you expect.

The 5/05 was used because we wanted to use a prosoft wireless unit so the drives are 755 controlled on devicenet but the drives also have a ethernet card connected to a hirschman switch and the prosoft so you can work on different parts of the machine and control things as it is a big machine.

The wireless won't reach to the shop and there is no ethernet network that connects things just the DH+. What i am find is everthing is made to go from ehternet to DH+ not DH+ to ethernet.

Yeah, I say (if a short enough run) starting pulling cat5e or cat6 cable in place of that blue hose. You know, you can do a heck of a lot with those drives using the DeviceNet network with a bridge to Ethernet (1788-EN2DN is what we use). This lets us use RSNetworx or Drive Executive without going through the SLC, since the bridge module is just another node on the DeviceNet, it is fast. Doing that would free up your 5/05 Ethernet channel, or let you stick a 5/04 back in there like Ron said...you still gotta get Ethernet from the PC network to the bridge module and from it to the DeviceNet network.

Last edited: