need help!

mike3475

we have SLC500 PLC ,programming with RSLogix500.I have the program files (.RSS) in my hand.I am a beginner for SLC500 PLC.I want to troubleshoot the PLC.Can someone show me how to open this program file?
Thanks!

suggestion:

post your program file here – and tell us what problem you're trying to troubleshoot ... you'll have to zip the file before you post it (forum rule) ... look for the "Attach Files" button near the end of the "Post Reply" window ...

we'll try to help ...

This program file is for DC motor drive of GOSS Web Offset Press,so I didn't program this file,I don't have RSLogix500 software,I know it is expensive.Can I have another way to open it?
Thanks!

If you have the file post it here (zip it first) someone can open it for you and print it to a PDF form for you to view it.

You will have to get RSLogix500 to open the .RSS file, no other way.

here are three of the files printed out ...

these might not do you much good – since there aren't any comments in the files you've posted ... this is what happens when someone "uploads" the programs directly from the processor – since the comments are NEVER stored inside the processor – only on the programmer's computer ...

suggestion: find someone local who has experience – and the software – who can help you with this ...

good luck with it ...

Last edited:
if you have to hook up to these things, you'll need a special cable - in addition to the RSLogix500 software ...

according to these programs, you have SLC-5/02 processors - and a simple "null-modem" cable won't work for communications ...

note that an Ethernet cable will "fit" - but it will NOT work - and will probably damage your computer's Ethernet port if you try connecting it this way ...

if you call in anybody to help with this be SURE to tell them up front that these are SLC-5/02 processors - so that they can bring the proper communications gear ... I'm going by the information in your files - and you should be able to confirm that model number by looking at the top of the processor module ... it should have the model printed there right on the front (highlighted in the picture below) ...

I wish you well ... gone for tonight ...

slc502.PNG

Last edited:
I want to troubleshoot the PLC.
The PLC may be running just perfect. Usually the problems are that some input or output to the PLC has malfunctioned.

I advise you to start your trouble-shooting with the external devices, then if no problems are found, look at the PLC. If you machine is running, most likely the PLC program is operating the same as it always did. Often an external problem can be found by looking at the PLC program, but only if you are experienced and know what to look at.

Did the Goss Web Offset Press company leave a copy of the SLC-5/02 programs with your company? If so, you can get the address descriptions and comments from that copy. Otherwise, you are facing the task of recreating them - before you will be able to use the PLC to do any troubleshooting. Recreating the original program is not for the inexperienced or faint-of-heart. If you have wiring diagrams of this press, you could start the recreation by identifying the Inputs and Outputs from the wire labels. That is only a start, and sometimes someone experienced on the particular equipment can take the I/O labels and then interpolate the descriptions for the entire program.

Last edited:
we only have some of wiring diagram,since we lost the important wiring diagram for web offset press ,which printed inputs ( push buttons or switches )and outputs (relays or motors ) on this machine.we don't have programs files from Goss, we don't have the address descriptions and comments.we only have "upload" programs directly from the processors.like Lancie1 said we need recreate the original program.we will try that,I know it is very hard .

thanks everyone to help us!

Without knowing what I:3/6 is, it is not certain. If I:3/6 is a momentary-contact switch of some type (pushbutton, limit switch, or other contact that only goes on then off, then it appears that these two rungs are for 2-Shot Logic. In other words, each time that I:3/6 goes on, B3/1 goes on/off, on/off, and repeats for each time the rung goes TRUE. I think it would be safe to label B3/1 as "2-Shot #1". If you can find where B3/1 is used, then you should be able to add some other description such as "2-Shot #1 for Motor #xx", or similar.

It appears that you have several 2-shots in this file. Rungs 0004 & 0005, 0006 & 0007 also appear to be similar construction.

Last edited:
Those aren't toggles, though at first it looks like it.

For the first two rungs B3/1 will turn on for one scan on the leading and the trailing edge of I:3/6.

Similar for the other pairs of rungs.