setting up rio com link

jlash

hello,

I am having some issues with getting my 1747-SN to communicate with some Flex IO modules via RIO.. I am not familiar with this.. and have been reading about M0&M1 files as well as G files.. I have set the G file length to 3, M0&M1 to 3300, and my logical Rack 0, Group 0 is set for a full rack. (I have 4, 1794-IB16's and 2, 1794-OB16's) Do I require a move or copy instruction of some sort for these values to be sent to my output modules and read from the inputs? however, my current processor type does not support the BTW or BTR instruction types... my processor is a 1747-L542B (SLC5/04 CPU - 32K Mem. OS401)

I have attached a copy of my program.. any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason Lash

Try changing the Rack Size in the 1747-SN Scanlist to "3/4 Rack".

The 1794-ASB adapter sets its I/O "rack size" based on the modules it detects at power-up. 6 total discrete modules is a "3/4 Rack".

The FLEX platform doesn't let you define a larger or smaller Rack Size than the I/O modules that are actually present.

how does one know, whether it is a 3/4 or full rack? i wasn't able to find any documentation on the sizing.. just saw references to said sizes..

Also, Ken, are the move, copy, btr,btw instructions not required for this application?

just looking for the reason that i have no coms between the racks..

Last edited:
The old Allen-Bradley Universal Remote I/O addressing scheme is so old (1978 !) and varied that most product literature since the 1990s has been reference style, rather than "layout and introduction" style. You really have to go back to the PLC-2 and PLC-5 user manuals for the basics.

It can sometimes be tricky and subtle, but the most common mode is "16 point single-slot addressing", where a "Rack" is eight modules. That's what you should use.

If you have an odd number of modules, you round up to the next largest 1/4 fraction.

There are quite a lot of 1747-SN and RIO configuration threads here on the Forum, but we can certainly do another. We know your 1747-SN physical configuration and 1794-ASB physical layout, so the next steps are to post the DIP switch settings on the 1794-ASB (include the exact part number because the Series letter is important) and troubleshoot the wiring and indicator lights.

Also: these discrete I/O modules do not require any block transfers or extra logic to get their data into the I/O image of the 1747-SN.

Since you have said that you're unfamiliar, I think it's worthwhile to also mention that you need to make sure that all of your devices are operating at the same baud rate.

1978?!?!? WOW! I would not have guessed the platform was that aged.. I noticed that a lot of the pdf's I was reading were mentioning "reference manuals.."

The exact ASB unit that I have is a ...1747-ASB-E

As far as the dip switches on the ASB are concerned.. i have set the baud rate for 115.2K (which would be Switch 2-4 is OFF and all the others are ON)

Then on the RIO Scanner, the DIP switches are set as ( switch 1 is ON, switch 2 is OFF)

I am not sure if using the exact Belden wire would make a difference, but I am using a similar style, mine is a 20AWG shielded two-wire from Carol.. with..maybe 5 feet between the racks.

i have set the baud rate for 115.2K (which would be Switch 2-4 is OFF and all the others are ON)
As the cable length between racks gets longer, the speed can be too fast and bits get missed. Sometimes you have to go with a slower speed.

I assume that's a typo and you have a 1794-ASB Series E.

RIO is actually extremely forgiving about wiring, so go ahead with that wire for now. Do install a 150 ohm resistor across the blue and white wires at each end.

"Conductor 1" is the top terminal on the 1747-SN, and the left terminal on the 1794-ASB. Make sure your wiring is 1-1, Shld-Shld, 2-2.

There should be some indicator lights on both the 1747-SN scanner and the 1794-ASB adapter. Observe and describe those.

The RIO protocol goes way back to the PLC-2 controllers and formed the backbone of A-B's I/O handling for a very long time. FLEX was added to the RIO product family in 1994 or so.

Well guys, thank you!! apparently having the RIO configured for a whole rack is what was hindering me.. as i sit now, i have two solid green lights on the AS/b module and a sold green COMM light on the SN.

Once again, THANK YOU for the assistance!

I owe you guys some cases of beer.. If you find yourself around the STL area, swing by the Schlafly Brewery and look me up.

Jason Lash
I/E Technician
The St. Louis Brewery
[email protected]