Rack optimized connection from python

sirtyman

Hi,
I need to create rack optimized connection to IO module through ethernet. The originator should be desktop PC . All should be done with python. I was looking for documentation of connection manager object and forward open service but I couldn't find nothing about rack optimization. Trying to achieve similar configuration with rslogix and sniffing network I get hundreads of packets with tons of gets single and get all. How should I get rid of this?

In general, what are you up to ?

First the detailed thread about downloading to ControlLogix controllers, with the restriction that it all had to be done in Python.

And now you're trying to create an I/O connection, something that's always done by the controller itself, and again the only toolset is Python.

The reason you're not finding advice about how to accomplish these tasks, least of all with Python, is that these are all functions done by Rockwell Automation's toolsets. They don't publish their internal functions, nor do they make a special effort to assist companies who are not partners.

I'm a Python fan: it's the principal scripting language for the HMI software I prefer (Ignition) and my company uses it extensively in our kinematics software applications. But I leave the ControlLogix upload, download, and I/O connections to the ControlLogix tools.

Last edited:
I don't want any troubles for the reason I'm just asking. But isn't CIP publicity accessed and all documentation can be downloaded from ODVA (excluding any specific Rockwell's objects)? Maybe I'm wrong and unintentionally asking about private property.

Forget the thread by the way.

The ODVA objects aren't free, but they are "open".

RA has reasonably good documentation on their public objects on the Developer's page:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/sales-partners/technology-licensing/developer-guides.page

You just aren't going to find a bunch of PLC developers here on this Forum: it's mostly users of various, um, degrees of sophistication.

And I'm sure if you were intent on havoc you wouldn't be asking here. There are a handful of black hats who have released tools that will happily cause a ControlLogix to red-light.

The ODVA objects aren't free, but they are "open".

RA has reasonably good documentation on their public objects on the Developer's page:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/sales-partners/technology-licensing/developer-guides.page

You just aren't going to find a bunch of PLC developers here on this Forum: it's mostly users of various, um, degrees of sophistication.

And I'm sure if you were intent on havoc you wouldn't be asking here. There are a handful of black hats who have released tools that will happily cause a ControlLogix to red-light.

Thanks. That is the link I probably needed. Thousands thanks.