Modbus plus information

Jeff23spl

Hello all

I just got a demand for modbus plus communication protocol

I have Modbus RTU or TCP availaible with my plc but not modbus plus.
I'm looking to know what is basically different for this protocol and if i will need a gateway converter ?

is Modbus + a serial or ethernet protocol ? looks like a serial but i just want tomake sure.

Last edited:
Hello Jeff23spl,
I’m curious on what you are trying to achieve? I was under the impression that people are getting rid of MB+ networks, because you need these gateways to interface with new PLC ‘s and SCADA systems. Do Schneider still sell PLC’s with MB+ ports?

This may help.

Network Type: Master/Slave Fieldbus based on RS-485 with Token passing
Topology: Line topology with segments of up to 32 stations

Installation: Shielded twisted pair cable with 9-pole D-Sub connector.
Cable length per Segment up to 500m extendible with repeaters up to 2.000m.

Speed : 2 Mbit/s

max. Stations : 64

Data: cyclic I/O and acyclic parameter data

Network Features : Master/Slave Fieldbus network for Real-Time control applications.

http://www.hms.se/technologies/modbusplus.shtml

Last edited:
Yes it comfirm that it is just serial.

To answer your other question, i'm just trying to have my standard control panel to be accepted in a new plant. They ask for Shneider or approved equal but include a modbus plus connection port

The classic Modbus Plus gateway was called a "BM85". You'll still see specifications that demand them.

The HMS device is probably a good modern alternative. They've done the work (and taken the risk) of licensing Modbus Plus from Schneider.