FT Vantage Point

rywins

I have never used Vantage Point EMI before. Anyways, I have a server (connected to a CompactLogix PLC) running Factory Talk View SE. I have Historian SE storing the data and trending on the View. I am trying to set up Vantage Point to publish a few analog inputs.

When installing VantagePoint, I am having an issue. The first or second step says, "The VantagePoint Server uses a SQL Server 2008 R2 database that is created as part of the installation. Please provide the logon credentials to the SQL server where the IncuityStore database will be created".

I guess I am confused...is this the same SQL server as historian?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

VantagePoint requires MS SQL Server 2008R2. I do not believe SQL Server Express meets that requirement.

VantagePoint stores all of it's configuration in SQL Server and actually creates three separate databases within that server. That server must exist prior to installing VP.

OG

The SQL Server should be part of the FT VantagePoint install package.
FT Historian does not use any SQL database for own functionality.
Probably the "Historian SQL" is the VantagePoint required one; you will need the credentials entered at the time of the installation, or uninstall it and then re-install it prior to the VantagePoint install attempt.

Last edited:
Is there a MS SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on the machine you are trying to instal VantagePoint Server onto?
If there is one, you will need the credentials entered at the time of the SQL install.
If there isn't one, you will need to acquire a license and install it; FT VantagePoint needs the SQL in order to be successfully installed.

Typically in an Enterprise scenario, a MS SQL Server already exists. VantagePoint must have access to a MS SQL Server BEFORE you can install.

That SQL Server can be on the same machine or it can be an existing SQL Server on your network. If it is an existing SQL Server you must have logon credentials with that server.

Now in some instances, people are installing VantagePoint where there is no existing SQL Server. In that instance, you can purchase a SQL Server license with VantagePoint.

OG