Automation Direct ECOM100 to 3rd party

padees

Hi all,

I know nothing about A-D plc's and their programming, and this is not even my project. Just trying to help someone out, the easiest way possible.

A little background.

One of our customers (we do service work for) spent a 7 figure wad on a new plastic extrusion machine and accessories. A wee bit of mis communication between the vendors occurred.

Company A built the extrusion system with an A-D DL-205 (believe it is a 260), and company B supplied 7 feeders with their own proprietary controller originally set up with EtherNet/IP. They can be configured for Modbus TCP/IP. (doing that tomorrow)

Company A, also has a Red Lion CSMSTRSX doing all the temp control stuff that is connected to the ECOM100, which works fine.

Poor guy assigned to get this all going as a system working as one, is a bit perplexed as how to do this.

Company B, sold this as a stand alone system and assumed a CLX that company A was using. Company B also has all the free easy integration stuff for CLX, basically making it Plug-n-play.

Big problem now, is company A has to re-create all the logic for company B's system and use company B's controller as remote I/O to control the feeders.

What a mess!!!

My thought was to utilize the RL Controller as a gateway. Get an expansion Ethernet card to use for the feeders, and either use the connection between the RL and ECOM, or a serial connection to the PLC.

Just don't know the best rout at this point without a re-do.

Anyway, this may be entertaining for some of you out there.

Last edited: