IR thermometer into PLC

Tactical
the answer is YES
The answer is NO

What PLC and What is the output you are having from the sensor.
is it type K
or
is it 4~20 mA ????

Looking at monitoring temperatures with the following IR thermometer:

http://www.omega.com/Manuals/manualpdf/M3946.pdf

My question is, how to I physically wire the thermometer into the PLC? Do I need extra modules?

That would depend upon what sort of I/O modules currently exist in your PLC. This instrument is available in a variety of different outputs. So long as you have an existing Current, Voltage or Thermocouple input module with a free channel available, then you only need to order the instrument to match your existing I/O.

Thank you for including the link to the manual.

Open to page 2 (paper) of the manual.

Look at the top of the page lists the model codes for which type of output your unit has. Yours will have one of the various output types.

Carefully decode the model number to determine which output yours has.

Look at the bottom of the page which shows the power supply wiring and connections for the various types of outputs.

Select the wiring for the output type that you determined you have.

For your Micrologix1400 PLC (hey everyone, I'm clairvoyant 🍺) you'll need an analog input module. The module you'll need depends on the model of IR thermometer you choose.

Don't mess with the 10mV/C output models, those are for pen recorders and not the best fit for a PLC.

If you choose an IR thermometer with a type K T/C output you'll need a 1762-IT4 module. (Only choose this one if you have other standard thermocouples and already have an 1762-IT4 card.)

If you choose an IR thermometer with a 4-20mA output you'll need a 1762-IF4 module (4 inputs) or a 1762-IF2OF2 (2-in, 2-out).

If you choose an IR thermometer with a 0-5 or 0-10V output and your ML1400 is a 1766-L32BWA, 1766-L32AWA, or 1766-L32BXB model then you'll need a 1762-IF4 module (4 inputs) or a 1762-IF2OF2 (2-in, 2-out). If your PLC is a 1766-L32BWAA, 1766-L32AWAA, or 1766-L32BXA then you can use one of the on board analog inputs and you don't need an expansion module as long as you can live with 10 bit resolution.

After you choose the IR thermometer model get the manual from the AB website for the matching analog IO card and refer to it for wiring and module configuration info.

Add the module to your program in RSLoigx500 under IO Configuration in the project tree.

In your PLC program you'll need to scale your mA or Voltage input to the temperature range of the IR thermometer. Use the SCP instruction to do this.

(p.s. I'm not really Clairvoyant, because I was feeling charitable I just spent the time to dig through the OPs other posts till I figured out what PLCs he was using)

Last edited:
For your Micrologix1400 PLC (hey everyone, I'm clairvoyant 🍺) you'll need an analog input module. The module you'll need depends on the model of IR thermometer you choose.

Don't mess with the 10mV/C output models, those are for pen recorders and not the best fit for a PLC.

If you choose an IR thermometer with a type K T/C output you'll need a 1762-IT4 module. (Only choose this one if you have other standard thermocouples and already have an 1762-IT4 card.)

If you choose an IR thermometer with a 4-20mA output you'll need a 1762-IF4 module (4 inputs) or a 1762-IF2OF2 (2-in, 2-out).

If you choose an IR thermometer with a 0-5 or 0-10V output and your ML1400 is a 1766-L32BWA, 1766-L32AWA, or 1766-L32BXB model then you'll need a 1762-IF4 module (4 inputs) or a 1762-IF2OF2 (2-in, 2-out). If your PLC is a 1766-L32BWAA, 1766-L32AWAA, or 1766-L32BXA then you can use one of the on board analog inputs and you don't need an expansion module as long as you can live with 10 bit resolution.

After you choose the IR thermometer model get the manual from the AB website for the matching analog IO card and refer to it for wiring and module configuration info.

Add the module to your program in RSLoigx500 under IO Configuration in the project tree.

In your PLC program you'll need to scale your mA or Voltage input to the temperature range of the IR thermometer. Use the SCP instruction to do this.

(p.s. I'm not really Clairvoyant, because I was feeling charitable I just spent the time to dig through the OPs other posts till I figured out what PLCs he was using)

Thank you very much. The controller I have is a ML 1400 1766-L32BWAA. There are two wires coming of the IR Thermocouple that need to be wired. Does the + (yellow wire) go into the IV0 input and the - (red wire) go to a COM?

The clairvoyant one is offline, so I will have to ask for the model number of your IR transmitter.

Red and Yellow are often used with K type thermocouples...if that's the case you can hook them up any which way you like...cause it ain't gonna work without a mV or thermocouple input module.

Its probably cheaper to toss that sensor in the trash and order one with a 10v output than it is to buy a TC input card.

Its probably cheaper to toss that sensor in the trash and order one with a 10v output than it is to buy a TC input card.

I might try exchanging it first ;) Plan A, plead elegant ignorance and beg for no-cost exchange or reduced restock fee. You may have to eat any shipping charges too, but it's a small price to pay for the right end result.

I always figure for A/B TC or RTD cards $250 per channel and usually there's a 4 channel minimum. I am not familiar with 1762? I/O, though, might be cleaner than an external transmitter which make buying a TC input Plan C sub section II on my list of workarounds.

Plan B would be research signal conditioner prices if Plan A was a no-go.

We use the 4-20mA range with a sensor from Raytek that has been really good, for about $750 I think. It has a remote optical sensor and nice little micro controller with a micro HMI for scaling and configuration. We only have had issues with etching of the lens using harsh sanitizers on it nightly, but the addition of the special lens they designed for furnaces (another $30 roughly) and no more problems.

http://www.raytek.com/Raytek/en-r0/...intSensors/CompactSeries/RayetkMI/Default.htm

I didn't pick it and have nothing to compare it with, but I may get to try one of the simpler versions like the OP has one day here pretty soon.

Last edited:

This one has a 10v output, will I be able to hook this straight into the ML 1400 1766-L32BWAA analog inputs without the need of a module?

I just want to buy a cheap IR thermometer to prove my theory first, then I will look into buying a nicer one.