panelview + 1000

knucklebucket

ok here is scenario, been trying to get copy of program of hmi, thx to help from here managed to do that. the problem now is This machine has been here for two years came from another plant, I been here 6 months. the guy that was doing this allegedly had been backing these systems up. today realize he never even been online with it. they can't remember login and password from previous plant and want to make some changes. Is there anyway to reset passwords or access them.

The software used to create and edit PanelView Plus terminals has a security subsystem that is tied to the editing computer; it's called "FactoryTalk Security" and the computer has all the usernames and passwords saved in it.

When you create proper backup Archives, you use a "Application Manager" utility that wraps up the application, the communication settings, and the security information from the computer that was used to make the application. You can later "restore" that Archive file to a different computer and the usernames and passwords should come with it.

Because FactoryTalk is similar to the Windows security system, it doesn't show you the passwords. Even when you back up the security information, the passwords are always hidden. They should be able to be reset by a user who has Administrative access, but they cannot be "shown".

90% of the time the FactoryTalk administrator password is the same as the Windows administrator password because the user has simply chosen to allow FactoryTalk to inherit the Windows Administrator credentials.

To address your current situation: I think that all you have is a Runtime file that you uploaded from the terminal.

If this was created by a version of FactoryTalk View Studio that allows you to re-create an Archive, you'll be able to re-create the whole Application.

But you won't be able to learn the passwords. You should be able to reset them if you have the Administrator password for the FactoryTalk "local directory" on your editing computer.

If your (.mer) file is version 5.0 or greater you will be able to create an archive file from it. To do this you must use the application manager and create an archive file (.apa).
You have two ways of finding out the version. The quickest way is to try and create the archive file using the application manager. If the version is unsuitable(pre 5.0) it will flag a message to let you know it is not possible.
You can also go into the configuration screen on the panel view and view the terminal settings which also informs you of the version installed.
If you can't create the archive, try to contact the original vendor for the .apa file. Once you have this you can recreate the users and passwords. Let us know if you succeed with the archive and we can inform you how to recreate the users and passwords.

Regards,
Donnacha

Ok, if you created the file successfully then your half way there. Next,you use the Application Manager utility to "Restore" it. Once it is restored it will appear in the available applications list when you open FactoryTalk View Studio and it is now an editable file.

Now you must recreate the users and passwords. Open the project in FT view studio and use the explorer pane on the left to click on Users and Groups. Then right click on Users and choose add new user. Input "user name" that you will use to login. Check the box "Password never expires". Input "password" that you will use to login. Click create. You may require a number of users (1 for operators and one for engineers) as you can restrict what screens can be accessed. If so repeat the above again for the second new user.

Now go up the explorer pane on the left to "system and choose user accounts. Open this and you will set the default access for the security codes (the screens default user can access) the checked boxes you allow are the screens that can be accessed.

Choose add user and click show all box. You will see the new users you set up. Then set the screens that these users can access.

Save the application and create a runtime file from the task bar menu. Go to your transfer and download your application.