adding expansion card to micrologix 1400

skippy83

Last night I tryed adding a 1762-OW16 output card to a Micrologix 1400 PLC. I was unsuccessful. If I tryed to read I/O configuration it would not see the expansion. If I picked the card from the list and downloaded, it faulted out that the I/O did not match. I looked up the card on the AB website to be sure it is compatible, and it is. The PLC is less than 6 months old. I also tryed a different card but it had the same results. Does anyone have any info on this problem?

Welcome to the forum Skippy. This might seem like a trivial question, but is the ribbon cable from the module plugged properly into the base unit with no bent pins? This connection can sometimes be a bit tricky and many a technician has had difficulty keeping the connector seated as the modules are manipulated during assembly.

Yes it is plugged in properly. I removed and plugged back in several times. I also made sure the pins was not bent. I couldn't come up with anything wrong with the ribbon cable or plug. I debated on changing the processor, thinking maybe the plug on it was bad until i found out it was not that old

Been a while but isn't there a requirement to have a termination end cap after the last expansion module? If so, do you have one? I seem to remember without one, the processor won't see the expansion module. 1769-ECR I believe is the part number.

The termination endcap is only required for the Micrologix 1500.

It's a long shot but try this: Go to the I/O Configuration and click on Adv Config for the suspect module. Make sure the Series number matches what's printed on the label, and try turning on the "Ignore Configuration Error" checkbox.

P.S. What versions of RSLogix/RSLinx are you running?

Last edited: