Another question regarding SLC 5/05 communication

fishenguy

I'm not having any luck getting on line to a SLC 5/05 using an Ethernet cable. First of all, the PLC is not connected to our network. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit OS and a Dell Inspiron laptop. Do I need a static IP address for my laptop, If not, how do I configure the driver in RS Linx? Also, do I have to shut off my wireless on my laptop or will RS Linx automatically use the Ethernet port on my laptop?

You do need a static IP address for your PC's NIC and you need to know the IP address of the SLC's Ethernet port (the NIC address must match the first three octets of the SLC 5/05 Ethernet port ones)! I don't remember if SLC 5/05s supported DHCP, however, if they did, the one at hand will most likely be currently set with a static address.
For the Win7 Pro 64-bit OS you will need minimum RSLinx Rev.2.58 (or newer); Menu Bar Communications/Configure Drivers/Available Driver Types Pull-Down -> Pick a Ethernet Type driver (and not an EtherNet/IP one!); the driver will "latch" to the NIC's Local Area Connection.
If you do not know the static address of the SLC's port you will have to connect to the controller via DF-1 RS232 (Serial) communications and "retrieve" the CPU's Ethernet port address.

Last edited:
This may help, http://youtu.be/GGdnlTXN-lY , its using a cable to download the program to the PLC, this is the easiest way I have found

You can also use bootP for the PLC side of the configuration, I think the 5/05's support it

You will need to know your IP address of your PC, once you know if you can set your PLC to the same network settings, you may also want to check with your IT for a available address for the PLC then set it to static

I just got off the phone with Dell tech support. They say I have a hardware problem and the easy solution would be to buy a USB to LAN adapter. Will I be able to use that to get online with the SLC 5/05? And will I configure the driver in RSLinx the same way?

Any quality USB-to-Ethernet adapter should do it; it is the preffered way to patch a PC within an automation subnet because it does not require the alteration of the built-in NIC settings thus avoiding the "consequences" it comes with.
Once the USB adapter is being "seen" as a Local Area Connection by the Network Connections Windows utility just "point" RSLinx to this connection when configuring the Ethernet driver.

The Dell guys recommendation is correct if the SLC505 is already networked and has assigned a fixed IP, and you also want to be connected to some other LAN via DHCP (company LAN for mail and/or internet access for example).

Another solution could be that the SLC505 gets connected to the company LAN via a Router.

But if you just want to go online with the SLC505, you dont need to buy another adapter or add any router or anything like that. Just set a fixed IP and Subnet on your laptop in stead of DHCP. The IP and Subnet must match the IP and Subnet as the SLC505.
For example if the SLC505 has IP=192.168.1.20 and Subnet=255.255.255.0, you could set your laptop to IP=192.168.1.21 and Subnet=255.255.255.0.
Then do your programming on the SLC505.
When done, set your laptop back to DHCP so you again can access your company LAN.

You dont have to disable you wifi.
In fact, if you are online with your company LAN via wifi, then you can at the same time be online with the SLC505 via the wired NIC.

Thanks for all the information guys. I'll give it a try when I get back into work tomorrow. My company just purchased 500 for my laptop last week and I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that I can get it all working.
I appreciate all the help.
Dave