PLC Software

Biodragon

I have been working with DIrect Logic PLC's and very little AB PLC's.

My first issue is: Does anybody know of any Allen Bradley Software that is available for training purposes?

My second issue is: I want to learn how to program but can't seem to figure out which brand is a good starting point.

Having used both DirectSOFT and RSLogix 500, I feel that DS is much easier to program with. It is very intuitive. RS does have more commands available, but I don't have need for most of them or have created work arounds when I have needed them (There is no TT bit in DS). DS has something call Block/Stage programming. I use block/stage programming exclusively. There are some that love it and some that hate it. I find that it makes the programming easier because I can make the code more modular. From what I have been told though, it is an acquired taste.

As far as which brand to study, I would just pick one. Each PLC has its own software to learn but ladder logic is still ladder logic no matter what you use. It is only a matter of converting it from one to another and isolating the unique codes.

AB does offer a free download of their RSLogix 500 Starter software. You can find it here.

Go to the "Get Software Section" and click on "RSLogix 500 Starter Software for 10-point MicroLogix 1000 Controllers".

Bob,

About a year ago I was talking to an ADC tech about something else and I mentioned I was thinking of trying "Stage Programming". Without hesitation, he advised me of the following:

Stage 1, Open Volume 2 of the Manual to Chapter 7.
Stage 2, With your right hand, firmly grasp all pages of chapter 7.
Stage 3, Firmly place your left hand down on the remainder of the manual.
Stage 4. With great force pull your right hand away from your left hand thereby removing all pages of Chapter 7 from the manual Sprial Binder.
Stage 5. File Chapter 7 in the round file under your desk.

That's Stage Programming for me!

Allen Bradley has more market share, and you will find more in indusry. The AutomationDirect is easier to learn, less expensive, and their market share is growing.

Mike, I've tried stage programming, and while it isn't a panacea there are projects and equipment where it fits naturally and works well. It is a little tricky to get used to, though, and I have to agree that form most jobs ladder is the way to go.

Mike and Tom,

I build scales that have 1 to 4 heads (lanes). Block Stage programming lended itself very well to this type of application. I just disable the blocks that I do not want to use on each machine and it does not impact the scan time to leave the code in the program. I have a PLC program that is over 3000 steps and the scan time is in the mid to high 20s. This is best done using Stage programming. The stages that are not being used are not scanned. I have been using it for so long I automatically think in stages. I do not even use standard ladder logic anymore. One of the things I typically use a stage for is to create a timer running bit. When I want to use this bit I turn on a stage with the timer in it. When the timer times out, it JMPs or RSTs off that stage. I then just look to see if the stage is on in place of a timing bit.

I agree with Tom. While it did take a little getting used to, I would swear by it now.

I recently had a long talk with an AD tech and he also tries to talk customers out of using stages but only because it can be confusing to troubleshoot if you do not really understand it.

Bob

Last edited:
Biodragon said:
... any Allen Bradley Software that is available for training purposes?

RSNetworks and RSViewStudioME are best for training on how to install and uninstall number of applications just to make simple update like
on one of them from version 3.0 to 3.1 or effectivelly kill RSLinx because RS programmers forgot to test compatibility with something so non-esential and hard to find like RSLinx...

bonkhead

Just one more comment on Stage programming in ADC. It's interesting because the Stage/State method of analysis of a machine is how I've always thought even when programming a microprocessor in assembly language. So when I began with ADC it was like a duck to water.

But for those who start the analysis with "what turns the first output on?" and can't break away from that then I would advise forgetting Stage programming.

Bernie,

Exactly! If you think of it in Flowchart format, the program almost writes itself. That's one of the reasons why I love it. It really lends itself to modularizing the program.