Allen-Bradley or Direct PLC DL-05?

Dan Stacy

I have had no exposure to PLC programming. I will be teaching a group of high school students various engineering technologies. I would like to incorporate PLC's into some simple manufacturing automation, however, I have never used them myself. Which would be the easiest to program and learn, the Allen-Bradley SLC series or the Direct PLC DL-05. I have heard the software for the DL-05 is easier. Any thoughts, suggestions or resources would be greatly appreciated.

I learned to program PLCs with DirectSoft. I think that saved me from pulling my hair out when I learned RSLogix.

One other reason I'd choose the DL-05 as a teaching tool: your enthusiastic students should be able to afford one. I've got two of my own that I toy around with.

AK

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an Allen-Bradley employee. [Flame guards UP !]

Price is less of a big deal when you're not buying dozens of controllers. The smallest DL-05 and the smallest MicroLogix 1000 are both $99. A-B will sell ladder logic editor software to educators for the price of the support contract.

Find out who your local distributor is for A-B products, and see if they've got user manuals and tutorials on the shelf and time to give you some quick and dirty coaching in the programming of the controller.

Maybe you can drive to their office and get a little keyboard time in with their demos to learn the basics. You'll also find that they supply and train on other kinds of industrial technology, like motor starters, instrumentation devices, and supervisory software.

Next, contact your local distributor for Automation Direct....

Last edited:
I have had no exposure to PLC programming. I will be teaching a group ....

I had never really beleived in the "Those who can't, teach" line, but in this case it seems all too true.

Dan, I understand why you posted the question, but you may actually want to ignore all replies.

If you were to post a question on a site devoted to computers and asked "I know nothing of computers, but am going to teach. Which is better, PC or Mac?" you'll get zealots from both sides.

Some people here have been burned by AB (for differing reasons), and have an almost fanatical animosity to them. Others have mastered the AB, and dismiss any other PLC as lacking this or that.

Neither opinion will necessarily help you, since your PLC experience will be different from anyone elses.

What one person finds easy, you may find indecipherable, and vice versa.

You may get great or lousy service from either supplier, just because you happen to call on a Tuesday, or because Ted, not Jim, answers the phone.

The really tough part is that what YOU find straightforward in one PLC over the other, your students might find inscrutible. In some ways, it would be best to teach both (or all PLCs) and let the students gravitate towards the one that matches their way of thinking best.

But I know it's not practical, in terms of budget, time, or even student interest. Just something to add to the list of "Things to Fix in the World".

Good luck.

I have a bias in favor of AutomationDirect.com. I really think their software is easier to use, and the configuration is more intuitive. If you are teaching the principles of logic and the basic concepts of ladder logic you don't want to get bogged down in the intricacies of RSLogix.

Having said that, in the US Allen Bradley still has the largest market share and so your studnets are more likely to encounter them in a job hunt. That is the only reason, in my opinion, to go with Allen Bradley. However, the basic concepts are transportable from one PLC to another. If they learn on AutomationDirect.com they can pick up the other brands readliy if they are taught concepts instead of the "mechanics" of any particular brand, just as Aaron has.

Dan,

You will probably find that there are Pro-A/B responses, Anti-A/B responses and Pro-Other-PLC's. I've been here a few years (4?) and have yet to see Anti-Other-PLC's; only Anti-A/B. (I admit to making a few of my own.)

Almost ALL other PLC's, other than A/B, are more intuitive to the "new-comer" to the field. My first exposure to PLC's was the A/B. I didn't know that there was anything better. I then went on to learn GE. Wow! That was a world of difference! GE was much more intuitive! I then went on to learn TI (Texas Instruments). BIG WOW!!!! That gave me a whole new sense of the difference between night and day!

I sincerely wish that I could recommend the Texas Instrument line to you... alas,... (insert many sobs here), their PLC line has been bought out by Siemens.

However, TI has left a prodigy.... the S7-200 Series. As cheap as Automation Direct, and as, or more, intuitive than Automation Direct. CERTAINLY, more intuitive than A/B!

The S7-200 Series and Automation Direct line are very similar in their intuitiveness.

With the Automation Direct, or Siemens (TI) S7-200, you will have students move more quickly into the more specialized functions because they are simply more intuitive and don't require the extra special handling to the degree that A/B does.

If you use PLC's only for the AND/OR cases to control outputs, then all you are teaching is the most fundamental aspects of PLC's. These could could easily be replicated by using hardwired series/parallel circuits!

As a Teacher, you should be exposing your students to the possibilities of PLC Programming! Using Automation Direct, or the S7-200, AND the manuals provided, will expose the students to far more than A/B - simply because they do not require the extra effort needed to learn the "special" way that A/B handles more basic functions.

Instead of moving on to learn concepts and possibilities, with A/B, students are bogged down in learning the "special" methods.

I, personally, recommend the S7-200, but I see Automation Direct as being just as beneficial for the student that wants to learn the concepts that make it easier for the student, himself, to be more "portable" between systems!

The goal is... To know how to program any given PLC is to know how to program any PLC!

All else equal, I think it would be best to learn on a AB because that is what is mostly out there. And if all else is equal, I think AB experience would be the best experience for the students. That said, A PLC is a PLC, I would go with which ever you can get a better deal on (software & hardware).

Regards,

Steve

... and the configuration is more intuitive .
... you don't want to get bogged down in the intricacies of RSLogix.

I do not understand these points about how confusing RSLogix and AB programming are. Can someone explain? I taught AB for *many* years (yes, after having programmed many others out there in your real world) and never had any special problems in explaining the intricacies referred to here. Of course, these were electrical students (4-year accredited engineering program) and had a pretty good grip on the electronic side of things. Many of them are even gainfully employed in many facets of the the PLC industry. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Let's see ... "left-loosey, righty-tighty" ... "left foot clutch, right foot accelerator" ... geez, hope I can remember all of this next time I need to use it.

mmw, the intricacies I referred to are mostly related to setting up and addressing I/O.

With Allen Bradley you have to create the I files and the O files, and then your bit adressing is I:3.0/1 etc. You have to set up a file for your bits, and indicate the size etc. A compare, for example requires you to enter the block, and then enter A and B registers (oops, you need the N files first) and so on. For timers you have to be sure to create the T file, and then remember to use the DN bit, and so on. I also find configuring RSLinx as a separate program slightly more complicated when it comes time to download. (OK, download is to the PLC, right? No, it's upload, no .... Where is that oh-so-concise manual again?) Admittedly these features add power to an experienced user, but they can be a little intimidating to a novice.

With AutmationDirect.com your first input is X0, and you have to ... Oh that's right, you have to do nothing. The first coil is C0, and ..... wait you just have to type it in! For your compares you just have to type ">" and type the registers in the box (wait, I didn't create the N file ... Oh I don't have to, do I?). For a timer I take the next available number, and for the contact I just type in the T1 designation. And to link a PC to a PLC I just go to the set link box and pick the defaults.

There are a lot of things I like about RSLogix and the A-B PLC line (yes Ken, it's true - I do like some things A-B) but ease of getting started isn't one of them.

Let's see .... I point my right thumb in the direction the screw should go, and my fingers curl in the direction of rotation .....

Last edited:
Oh, come on ... how hard is it to get Upload and Download straight!? :confused:

I never backed away from any PLC, as a novice or a veteran. Bet you really have serious problems with PLC-2s, don't 'cha?

I think I'm beginning to understand you though, Tommy.

Maybe its best to learn on a PLC that doesnt do everything for you, because when you do move to a less user friendly PLC, things seem so much harder.

I learned PLC's on a Modicon 984 using Pro Worx. When I switched to RS Logix, everything came so much easier (with the exception of RS Linx).

I think to myself now, how the hell would you do half this stuff in Pro Worx?? :confused:

regards,

Steve