help with devicenet point i/o

jcperdue

I have added a point i/o adapter and two point i/o cards to my trunk. 1734 adn is the adaptor and the cards are 1724 ie2c and ie8c. They are 4-20 ma analog inputs. I have added them to the graphic. Where do I find those I/O points in the program? Were they assigned when I added the cards to the network or I do have to mannually asign them?

Modular I/O with DeviceNet is tricky.

Because you're essentially working with a "sub-scanner", so you have to follow the data through two different scanlists. You will have two different *.DNT configuration files.

You described "adding [the modules] to the graphic", but I'm not sure if you have added the modules to the Scanlist of the 1734-ADN backplane. I suspect you definitely haven't increased the size of the 1734-ADN's own I/O connection to the main scanner.

Is this a system you're setting up for the first time, or are you modifying a system that's running ?

Post the *.DNT file for the 1734-ADN backplane as well as the *.DNT file for the controller scanner module (probably a 1756-DNB).

It is an existing network. I have added the 1734-adn and the point I/O cards to the scanlist. I have not increased the I/O connection to the main scanner the main scanner show 0 bytes input and 0 bytes output in it's properties for the ADN 1796-sdn devicenet scanner for compaclogix

If the 1769-SDN's scanlist entry for the 1734-ADN shows "0 bytes" in size, and the system is running, I conclude that you're not looking at the actual current scanlist for the 1769-SDN.

This is a nontrivial task because you don't know if there is space available in the 1769-SDN scanlist for the new data to go into a contiguous block. You can't just click "automap" and expect your existing system to keep working.

So you have to look at both the 1734-ADN scanlist and the 1769-SDN scanlist. You need the actual scanlists, not a default empty project file, so you need to upload them from the devices to be sure you have the actual current scanlist.

I misunderstood your original post and thought you were adding the two POINT modules to an existing 1734-ADN adapter.

Since the 1734-ADN itself is new to the network, it makes sense that RSNetworx doesn't know what data size it is using.

If you associate the 1734-ADN backplane *.DNT file with the main network *.DNT, file, RSNetworx should be able to automatically determine the I/O size of the POINT adapter. This association is done on the "Device Bridging" tab for the 1734-ADN Adapter (remember, it's an Adapter to the 1769-SDN Scanner) and it causes the "I/O Data" tab to show

You can also manually set the I/O size for the 1734-ADN in the 1769-SDN's scanlist.

If you auto-mapped the 1734-IE2C and 1734-IE3C modules into the 1734-ADN's backplane scanlist, they should produce 6 bytes for the 2-channel module and 24 bytes for the 8-channel module, for 30 bytes total.

The 1734-ADN's I/O connection adds 2 bytes of Status and 2 bytes of Command, so if you manually create the 1734-ADN in the 1769-SDN's scanlist, you'll want to make the I/O sizes 32 bytes Input and 2 bytes Output.

You can also see these values live in the Parameters tab for the 1734-ADN, as the "Poll/COS Connection Consume Size" and the "Poll connection Produce Size" or "COS Connection Produce Size".

Attached is a ZIP file with simplified *.DNT files illustrating this configuration. Both were created with RSNetworx for DeviceNet 10.01.