Micrologix 1000 controller

cb1961

I am thinking of buying a
ALLEN-BRADLEY 1761-L20BWA-5A MICROLOGIX 1000 CONTROLLER.
Wanting to run various fans and doors with analog inputs. My question is can I use analog inputs and have them run the digital outputs? Or are the anolog inputs only for the analog outputs?

The analog inputs take a varying voltage (0-10vdc) or current (usualy 4-20mA) and turn that into a value in the PLC.

You can do anything you want with that value.

Sounds like homebrew HVAC, if my WAG is lucky, the analog signal is a temperature, then sure, it would be quite common to get a matching analog transmitter and use PLC code to compare actual temperature to presets. Then you write ladder logic using compare instructions to control devices. You can make decisions and run doors fans to the limits of the controller memory, I/O capacity, and your imagination.

Be warned that the onboard analogs are low resolution, I think 10-bit so you set the range of your transmitter for a representation with 1024 unique values...

Last edited:
The analog inputs take a varying voltage (0-10vdc) or current (usualy 4-20mA) and turn that into a value in the PLC.

You can do anything you want with that value.

Sounds like homebrew HVAC, if my WAG is lucky, the analog signal is a temperature, then sure, it would be quite common to get a matching analog transmitter and use PLC code to compare actual temperature to presets. Then you write ladder logic using compare instructions to control devices. You can make decisions and run doors fans to the limits of the controller memory, I/O capacity, and your imagination.

Be warned that the onboard analogs are low resolution, I think 10-bit so you set the range of your transmitter for a representation with 1024 unique values...
Yes hvac for a greenhouse , I have a 1761-16bwa running it now but want to try the analog inputs to vary how far the door opens per temp and so forth.
The outputs dont all have to be analog but need more than 1 output, just making sure I could use the analog input data to run the digital outputs. thank you.

Also, you probably need to be aware that the 1000 is "silver" (together with the 1200 and 1500) -- first phase of obsolescence...

Also, you probably need to be aware that the 1000 is "silver" (together with the 1200 and 1500) -- first phase of obsolescence...

I think it will take them a long time before they go away, I still sell a lot of cable for the SLC 100/150 and they have been go for a long time but they are still out there, I would think 10 years + and thats long enough for a greenhouse :)

cb1961,
If you are still looking for one let me know I have a lot of them and can give you a deal http://stores.ebay.com/plc-trainer-...12686015&_sid=644998925&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I have both the 1100 and 1000, the 1100 you would also need a output card

Hmm, thanks for that link ! Did not know a person could get to that kinda info. Is there also a link to download any older versions of 'professional' level software ?
I notice it goes to the ab'com site address they don't use anymore.

That is an old link I have saved. I can't find it on the new and improved AB site.

But I did find this, see link. Which leads you to the link above.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63956/related/1

I don't have a tech connect contract. Some of that stuff is free, but they do ask you to log in to the free one. Go ahead and register it's free.