got my first analog card and I need 0-100%

gr8benwa

using:
rslogix 5000 v16
1768-L43 processor
1769-IF4XOF2/A 4 inputs 2 outputs analog card
rsview simulated HMI

OK this is my very first time using an analog card and I am also just a month into dabbling with RS5k.

I have created a tag for a COP instruction called analog_1 for Local:3:1.Ch0Data.

So my COP looks like this:

COP
Source Local:3:1.Ch0Data
Dest analog_1
Length 1 ( I dont know what to put here so I put a 1)

on my HMI simulated screen, when I play with the analog signal I get:
0-29696

How can I make the signal read 0-100?

Remember this is my first go at this. I have googled around but my card does not have the config options like I have seen in most tutorials. I can only check-mark the channels to be enabled. So I am really lost on what I need to add. I know that some conversion needs to be made, then I will have to use that TAG for my simulated HMI as my analog_1 is reading 0-29696.

thanks!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Do it on the card. Drill into the channel in the I/O tree and set the engineering units however you like. Take advantage of Logix5k cards' smarts and reduce the amount of scaling logic in your code...

EDIT: Actually I am not 100% sure that card supports onboard scaling...

OkiePC... thats where I am getting lost because in the tutorials I have watched it looked like a piece of cake in the config section. Mine isn't like that. I dont know how to scale this card. In my config area all I can do is enable the channels. Maybe I am missing something here about the i/o tree?

This is a very common novice question, so don't sweat it.

The 1769 series analog modules do not have the onboard engineering units scaling like the 1756 series modules do.

So you will have to use a simple linear equation to perform this math.

A simplified way to do this, since you know the span of your analog signal is 0 to 29696 counts, is to just Divide by 296.96

ok so I went to my rsview and clicked on expression and divided by 296.96 and now my hmi simulator is reading 0-100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whooooo hooo!

Thanks Ken. I will remember this now. I am in the middle of my 2nd L23E project with an add-on analog card but I cut cut n pasted the one I did in '09 and didn't recall for sure if onboard scaling was dependent on the controller in use or the I/O card itself.

May I also suggest the SCP (Scale w/ Parameters) Add-on Instruction available for download from the AB sample code library.

May I also suggest the SCP (Scale w/ Parameters) Add-on Instruction available for download from the AB sample code library.

I would also second this recommendation its a usefull add on I also use this to give me multiple units of measurement displays on hmis. Bar vs psi etc.

Defiantly the way to go. Works just like the old Logix500 SCP function. Also makes it easy to "fine tune" a sensor so that the PLC reads the same value as whats displayed on the sensor.