RSLOGIX Keydisk

I an upgrading computers and switching the software to the new computer. I lost the disk with the product activation code. I understand I can change the .INI file to keydisk=true to get around this. However, I also heard that running windows XP, I may not have an INI file (I havent loaded the software yet on the new machine running XP). If I do not have this INI file, how do I use the similar keydisk feature?
Thanks all

You cant do anything without the key disk (aka MASTER floppy).
The KEYDISK setting is for using the master floppy as an emergency activation.
Contact Rockwell to get a replacement master floppy. This should be possible even if you havent signed up for support.

Get both machines talk to each other via ethernet. Allow disk sharing on one PC (old one for example) so you can see it from the other PC (new PC for example).
Then run MoveEV on new PC and and simply move it from X: to C:
where X: is drive of the first PC that has activation.

If I move the key from my first computer to my second computer, will RSLOGIX be inactivated on the first computer?

if you have a key in a old computer you can run Evmove. exe over DOS to transfer your key from the drive c to any floppy disk
c:\program files\Rockwell software\Rsutil\forcedos evmove c a all

elevmike

To install RSLogix with key take less then 5 minutes its not so bad.
Omron use to do it in old syswin.
The problem occur when you lost the key disk.or something happen to the fllopy.
You need to backup your disk when it new in away you can create new one whene ever you want..........

When I used to do IDEC I had a keydisk floppy. This was a major PIA. The floppy was required at all times. The software was also in two different applications. One for monatoring, and the other for programming. This was too much for me and I dropped Idec altogeather. This was years ago. I hope for Idec they changed things by now.

Mike

I can understand who made this keydisk to protect his copy right.
When you have just serial No anyone can copy.
With key disk you need to be more sophisticated.
With physical Plug you cannot do nothing.
Sometime the complication come because the people who design the software are not use it by them self.Or dont want to spend money in development. See Siemens.
For us the users good software is major factor when we came to chose
PLC.
I love to use Omron because they have great Software for programing.
BTW we have in Israel PLC manufacture which call Unitronics
www.Unitronics.com
When you buy PLC you get the software and programing cabel with the PLC.
Its different marketing approach.

RSLogix Keydisk

Hello,
I didn't use RSLogix for about 1 year now, but I used to make a backup copy of the license as following:
In the root of the C drive you will find a hidden read only file, named EVICOM.SYS (or beginning with EV*.SYS).
The trick is that the dos volume number of the harddisk is stored in this file. If the file is copied to an other computer, the number does not match, and an error will appear.

Copy this file to a backup directory.
Remove the readonly and hidden attributes (from dos box type: attrib -r -h ev*.sys).
Write down your volume ID number; it will be given to you if you type in VOL <CR> on the dos prompt (for example ACC8-67C4).
Open the ev....sys file with a hex editor, and locate the dos volume number with the hex editor. Mark the addresses.

Next, copy the hidden read only file c:\386SWAP.PAR to the backup directory.

Copy these two files to the root dir of the computer from where you want to run RSLogix.

On the new computer, again find out what the dos vulume number is. Open the ev....sys file with the hex editor, and replace the old volume number with the new one.

Reset the file attributes of ev....sys back to read only and hidden.
That's it.

The original license can be stored back on the original disk.

Remember: only use this procedure to make a backup copy of the license!

Some software can make faster to get back

Dear PLC's friend
Some diff. answer
For education purpose only:
If you learn several program ..about backup registry..
You will meet some program can bring back your's key disk
very easy.
However, I could not tell exactly here..This case more sensitive
:D I have to try for use in education purpose only.