Remote Access - As good as it sounds?

orense

Hello,

As Remote Access is coming more and more popular, I would like to have some opinions from people that use the solutions that are available.

In theory, a proper Remote Access solution should make your connection to a plc, just as robust if you are on the other side of the planet, as if you are standing next to it. However, my experience is that this is not always so. We use Remote Access where we have a lot of different equipment that sometimes needs protocol converters (Ethernet - RS232 etc...).We also use VPN to reach our routers/switches. Depending on where the plant is located, the data traffic has to go through maybe 15-20 hops through worldwide routers, and into the plant. I have seen connections go down, while we are trending values, and it is hard to say why they go down.

There are many benefits from Remote Access, but sometimes I feel that it is not as easy as described. People often take for granted that IT/Automation interface between plant, vendor, ISPs etc is as easy as logging into Facebook....

Do any of you have any opinions on this, and maybe advices on how to make this stuff as bulletproof as possible. We also install equipment on ships, and that makes it even harder, as the can change locations frequently.

We use E W O N for Remote support vie the internet.
Works pretty good. For some countries the speed is so-so, but sure beats jumping on a plane.
It gives us access to all ethernet devices, and that means all devices since ethernet is mandatory in all our projects now.
Via the the serial port we can also support certain legacy devices, in particular AB PLC5 and SLC500 via DF1.

In addition to that, we also use Teamviewer a lot. We have bought 3 corporate licenses in my department. It is a phenomonal software (proof that some germans can write great software that is easy to use too).

With these two methods we can support remotely in a way that we couldn't even dream of in the old days.
In the olden days I have used a modem support, but that was never really good. Better than nothing, but then that says it all.

@The OP

I design a lot of remote access systems and there are a lot of ways to do it depending on a varirty of factors.

Methods like E.W.O.N are good in their own respect but there are more secure and more robust ways of doing it depending on you current infrastructure,Budget,Time,ISP,etc.

Point being there is no single right answer it is on a case by case basis. Also you get whay you pay for so If you have a cheap ISP connection like a home cable or DSL connection you may not have the greatest speed but if you have a bonded T1,Fiber,dedicated buisness class cable,etc you will have better speed and reliability.

Many people want the sub $1000.00 remote access solution and then complain about dropped or poor connection, getting hacked,

A case again where you get what you pay for. You have to decide how important remote access is and what level of reliability and performance you must have and assign a dollar figure.

Take you time and research solutions carefully as they have caveats.

Thanks for answers!

What we use are Westermo Industrial switches, and a VPN software.
The software requires a key for the channel, something that will end up with a large amount of keys, as you start to get a lot of plants to connect to. If you have several persons that needs to be able to connect then there is more stuff to keep track of.

Doesn't Teamviewer require that you have a remote computer at the site that you are connecting to? In other words you would need to have a machine with the required software in each site?

Yes. Teamviewer needs a PC. We always have at least one HMI and/or database PC. Teamviewer does not cost anything for the remote PCs, only for the controlling PCs (i.e. for the seats that are at your home office locations).

How hardcore HMI do you need to get teamviewer to work?

We used to use MP277 from Siemens, but since we are starting to use TIA portal, we are moving to TP1200 Comfort panels. Will they do the trick?

We use Teamviewer on PCs, not directly on CE-based panels though.

You can use Teamviewer as a VPN server, similar as E W O N works. I wrote a guide HERE.

Then you can access even Panels, not for remote control but for downloading updates for example. With smartservice you can also do remote control on CE panels.