Red lion G315 HMI user input option

amitpanvekar

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to change the Data tag label by using the G315 HMI's touch capability on the go by USER ?

One another question that, I got six RS232 input that needs to go to G315 HMI, but due to hardware constraint, it is not possible to connect all them. Is there any device or option card available from Red lion to accommodate six RS232 on G315 ?

Cheers

I'll answer the first question. I tried several things unsuccessfully to get that to work. Tag.Label is a read only property and not writable. What exactly are you trying to do? There are probably several other ways to skin that cat.

Many Thanks TConnolly,

GPS receiver's RS232 output is connected with G315. This GPS data goes to one of RS232 of G315. This GPS string has the information regarding signal strength of the signal received which is as below:
0 -No Signal Received
1 -Medium
2 -Strong

When the GPS signal strength becomes 0 then, User wants to change the label to any label.

I also wants to show the traffic light kind of alarm indication next to data tag label as below

0 -No Signal Received (RED)
1 -Medium (AMBER)
2 -Strong (GREEN)

Cheers

When the GPS signal strength becomes 0 then, User wants to change the label to any label.

Cheers

For this I might need to know more about what exactly the label should read.

As for the alarming, if your communications program can put the value into an integer tag it would be quite easy to add alarming to it as well as use it as a condition for the value of other tags, or for the visibility of alternate label text.

Use two tags and two data display primitives. One is a string tag that can be changed. The other has the data. Configure each primitive to display data only and place them together on the screen.

Or just change the text of the objects to an expression that selects the tag.label or YourText[x]

On your objects, you can turn off the "Get from Tag" checkbox for Label, and then turn right around and reference that label text or an expression containing it in the Format tab Data Label field.

You would have to edit that expression in all the affected objects rather than something slick and quick at the tag level. But, you wouldn't have to re-enter or copy existing label text.

Last edited:
The Data tag label GPS1 displays the received string from receiver via RS232 port of G315.As I mentioned, Is it possible for the user to change the text identifying the GPS1 input so that as an example if the type of receiver associated with GPS1 input is called a Hemisphere R220 the text can be changed by the user
Default Text - User intervention on HMI - Final Text
GPS1 - ----------------------> - Hemisphere R220(or any text)

I have tried the way TConnolly suggested but had no luck.

Sorry OkiePC, I don't understood what you mean. Could you please more explicit.

Cheers

Hello,

You can't dynamically change a tag's lable. However you may want to look at the option of a multistate formatted tag. This allows you to show different text based on the value of a numeric variable.

Thanks
Jeremy

If you can share your cd3 file (zip it first and attach to a post), we can "get on the same page".

What I think you are looking for is simply a crimson string tag with data entry enabled.

You can write to the tag programmatically to, for example, force it to read "Hemisphere R220" when the signal is greater than zero and/or on power up.

You could use the Event action for your signal strength tag to cause a program to run or just a bit of complex code to assign another string tag or literal value to your dynamic new cstring tag. If you do it with the event trigger when not equal to zero, the event will stop happening and the user can then edit the string.

EDIT: run the attached file through the emulator. The on action for the alarms and events only runs during a transition so in order to prevent editing of the text while the signal is good, I used the enable field on the object entry tab.

Last edited: