Does anyone recognize this PLC?

I'm trying to help with an asset inventory for a plant we might be taking over. All I have to go on is this photo. I've tried searching through the major brands but I can't find anything to match.
Can anyone help me out? Looks like the IO cards maybe say CRP or SMP on them but I can't be sure from this angle. The CPU looks to have two comm ports, maybe a memory card slot, and some indicator lights.

IMG_4611.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

That is a Modicon Compact 984. They have been out of production for a long time now.

Edit to add:
There were two kinds of 984s, the Compact and the full size. You have a compact.
Your ports are 1)Modbus. 2)Modbus Plus.
The slot is a PCMCIA card slot.

Catalog Here.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a Modicon Compact 984. My recollections match the card slot and the angle of the connectors to get to the Modbus ports.

A Google Image Search turns up good pictures of them.

I'm not much of a Modicon guy so I can't guess at the I/O module types.

TConnolly is correct. A Google image search for Modicon Compact 984 finds plenty of pictures that look exactly like the one in your picture. EDIT: As Ken has apparently already said... ;)

🍻

-Eric

Last edited:
Yes, Modicon Compact 984, that must be it. Thanks so much. We have had a ton of 984's here but never the "compact" model, I didn't even know that existed.