Ruggedness of MicroLogix PLCs

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a new project and we're weighing using a MicroLogix vs. a CompactLogix for the PLC. I have used the MicroLogix in prior projects and have no complaints, however another person we're working with says from firsthand experience that the MLs aren't as hardy. I took a look at the specs (ML1400 vs. 1769-L35E) and the vibration, shock, and temperature ranges are roughly the same for our concerns, except that the vibration is listed as 0.015" max p-to-p for the ML. Has anyone had any trouble with MicroLogix PLCs and vibration?

This seems like a very easily exceeded amount of vibration, if 0.015" is truly the limit these must not last very long anywhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Just speaking from experience, we have MicroLogix PLCs on a variety of vibrating feeder bowls throughout the plant (mostly 1200's). There is some damping between the frame and electrical panel of course, but you can still feel the vibration and I have yet to see any failures on the dozen or so units that have been in service 5-10 years.

That's what I was expecting to hear. Sounds like it's a little addition to the specs to scare people into spending more money. Thanks.

The weak member of the family is the MicroLogix 1500 and its CompactBus expansion backplane. I have seen machines that faulted the controller when they took impact parallel to the backplane (a cement block maker: the whole room shook a little). Re-orienting the cabinet 90 degrees solved the problem.

The 1762 bus on the MicroLogix 1100/1200/1400 have a ribbon cable connection for expansion I/O. I've seen them damaged during installation (dropped, stretched, torn, bent pins) but never had a complaint about failure in service.

I've only had one of these fail out of the hundreds i've installed. It was an 1100 in an enclosure in Baytown TX that I am 99% sure the enclousre door was left open on in the rain. I even have these mounted on moving equipment good thing I did not read that spec. LOL!!