One quick question...

JoseM

I have this SLC 5/04 that has a remote rack connected to it. The main rack has a 1747-SDN module and so its the remote rack. I was able to create a "Pass-through" (hopefully this is how is called) communication through the backplane into the first 1747 SDN to upload a "DeviceNet Network" configuration.

The question is if I can upload the configuration for the 1747_SDN that is located on the remote rack using a "Pass-Trough" method as well.

First of all we have to first state that the 1747-SDN is a Scanner; it is located within the SLC chassis and, functionally, represents "the Master" of the attached DeviceNet communications network, retriving the "information" from the field devices, passing it to the SLC controller and then "writing" back to the devices the CPU's "decisions".
The field devices the Master controls could be VFD communications adapters, DeviceNet encoders, HMI terminals, DeviceNet I/O or Digital/Analog I/O Adapters,etc.)
A DeviceNet "Remote Rack" is most likely a group of digital/analog I/Os "connected" to an Adapter; the Adapter is a "slave" to the Scanner and represents the inteface between the field I/O modules and the Master.
The user interface for a SLC platform DeviceNet network consists of the RSNetworx for DeviceNet software, the RSLinx communication utility, and a 1770-KFD, 1784-PCD or 1784-U2DN interface to the Devicenet network.
Do you have RSNetworx for DeviceNet and any of the above listed physical interfaces?
To my knowledge, within your given configuration, it is the only way to interface with the Scanner and view/edit the Scanlist or the field devices' configuration.
The "Pass-Through" RSLinx driver you are refering to is used to "Go Online" with the CPU controller (RSLogix 500) and not for the network's configuration/development.

Let me be more specific. The master chassis has the SLC 5/04 and various modules installed (1746-OA16, 1746-IB16, etc) including the 1747-SDN.

The slave chassis also has various modules installed (1746-IA16, 1746-OA16, Etc.) including a 1747-SDN.

The 1747-SDN on the master chassis is connected to a group of VFD's and the 1747-SDN on the slave chassis is connected to another group of VFD's.

I configured the "Pass-Through" driver on RSLinx and was able to upload the DeviceNet network configuration for the network connected to the master chassis.

The DeviceNet network connected to the slave chassis, can I upload that network using the same "Pass-Trough" driver?

I have personally never encountered a 1747-SDN controlled "remote rack" configuration; you are probably confusing it with other communications adapters such as the 1747-ASB (Universal RIO) which have built-in dual function- Scanner OR Remote Adapter.
See page 14 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um655_-en-p.pdf
for the only way a 1747-SDN module could be networked while Chapter 5 might answer your last question.
You are probably encountering two separate DeviceNet networks, each one controlled by its own 1747-SDN scanner.
"Where" did you upload the "network configuration" ?
Post a screenshot if possible.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the "I/O Configuration". You can see there what I'm talking about.

I did the "Upload" through DH+ using RSNetworx for DeviceNet

DeviceNet.jpg

But this is the RSLogix 500 I/O configuration for the SLC 5/04 CPU containing two 1747-SDN modules(one local and the other one within the "extension" chassis); it does not contain the DeviceNet network configuration (only the SLC chassis I/O configuration).
You should be able to RSLinx browse to one (or both) of the two DNet networks and "see" all the devices, however, you will need RSNetworx for DeviceNet and a network interface device in order to actually access the network's configuration.
Chapter 5 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um655_-en-p.pdf might answer some of your questions, however, you should first throughly explore:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/dnet-um004_-en-p.pdf
and
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/gr/dnet-gr001_-en-e.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks so much dmargineau for taking the time to help me with this issue I have.

The picture that I'm attaching shows the procedure I follow to setup the Pass-Trough driver on RSLinx. The problem I have is that the driver when it scans the DeviceNet network it only finds the 1747-SDN scanner on slot 12 but it can't find the one on slot 22.

When I use RsNetworxs for DeviceNet to upload the network it only shows the VFD's that are connected to the 1747-SDN module on slot 12.

DeviceNet_2.jpg

Jose,
I know the manuals within the links I have previously posted are not quite 100% applicable within your particular case, however, they contain essential information related to DeviceNet networking; as a user you should try comprehending the general topology theory and aproaches for basic editing/development.
Let's try to solve your issue first, however, please consider studying the posted .pdf files.
Let's first establish the difference between RSLinx Classic Professional software (the only communications software you have posted screenshots of!) and RSNetWorx for DeviceNet, which we have yet to observe on the board:
RSLinx is a communications utility mostly used to establish connections between software and field installed hardware or between two pieces of software in need to exchange data; with a very few exceptions (IP Addressing setup for some of the devices capable to communicate over EtherNet/IP) RSLinx does not offer configuration capabilities: it merely establishes a communications path.
On the other hand, the RSNetWorx software family (RSNW for DeviceNet, RSNW for ControlNet and RSNW for EtherNet/iP)was developed and it is specifically used when configuring the communications networks topology, data transfer mapping and individual devices' configuration.
I hope this clarifies it and maybe you could give us an answer about the RSNetWorx for DeviceNet availability.
Now back to your issue:
You have an "extended" 1747 chassis containing two DeviceNet networks endpoints, endpoints connected to two 1747-SDN scanners, one located within Slot 13 (12 Logical) of the "main" chassis and one placed within Slot 10 (22 Logical) of the "extension" chassis.
The RSLinx software you are using is connected to the SLC CPU Serial232 Port Channel 0 using a DF1 driver and then via the "Pass-Through" SDNPT driver you have configured, it "hops" communications to the CPU's Channel 1 (DH+) and from there straight to the 1747-SDN in Slot 13 (12 Logical), allowing you to browse the DeviceNet network connected to it.
I have never encountered this configuration within a SLC platform, however, if you wish to browse the DeviceNet network connected to Slot 10 of the "extension" chassis (22 Logical), within the SDNPT driver configuration applet lower right corner choose Slot 22 instead of 12; probably you will not be able to browse both DNet networks simultaneously (carry two SDNPT drivers), hence I'd suggest deleting the existing SDNPT driver and then add it again this time pointing to Slot 22 of the SLC system.
I hope this will allow you to browse the Slot 22 Dnet network, however, this is pretty much all you will be able to accomplish; you have never told us what your final intention is.

Last edited:
This system was in placed before I joined this company and I just have to work with it.

What you mention here,

I'd suggest deleting the existing SDNPT driver and then add it again this time pointing to Slot 22 of the SLC system.
its what I did to setup the SDNPT driver again and choose slot 22 but on the drop down list to select the slot, it only gives me the option for slot 12 and not 22.

I just want to upload all parameters for all VFD drives connected to these two networks because I'm creating an archive of all information for the drives throughout this manufacturing facility.

Last edited:
I believe we are getting somewhere now.
The news are bad though; as I have stated previously, you will not be able to Upload a DeviceNet network scanner/devices configuration/parameters using your current resources.
You will need the RSNetWorx for Device Net (9357-DNETL3) software and a DeviceNet network-to-PC interface ( 1770-KFD, 1784-PCD or 1784-U2DN ).

Now back to the Slot 22 1747-SDN.
There are quite a few reasons you cannot choose Slot 20 (22 Logical) for the SDNPT driver deployment.
One of them, which I think it might apply here, is the 1747-SDN minimum required firmware revision that supports the SDNPT driver communications; this would be 4.015; if the 1747-SDN scanner carries a firmware revision between 4.015 and 5.001(including), the SLC M files size has to be increased from default 256 words to 361 words (via RSLogix 500 Offline File + CPU Download); in order to be able to run a SDNPT driver within 1747-SDN FRN between 4.015 and 5.001, after the above conditions have been satisfied, you will also have to switch the CPU run mode from Run/Remote Run to Program Mode and then back to Run/Remote Run Mode.
Only 1747-SDN scanners carrying firmware revisions higher than 5.001 could be accessed via the SDNPT driver and I think this is your Slot 13 (12 Logical)condition.
As you could probably see, this task is quite "labor intensive" and will require several system shut-off actions; moreover, you will not be able to accomplish the task at hand (uploading the network's configuration and devices' settings for backup purposes).
Ask for (or acquire)the "colorful" resources I have previously listed; you need them! ;)

You have enlighten me dmargineau. That is exactly what I'm missing on the second 1747-SDN.

The firmware on the two scanners falls between 4.015 and 5.001 criteria. I did change M0 and M1 files on the one scanner located on logical slot 12 from 256 to 361 and was able to use the SDNPT driver in it. But I just completely overlooked the fact that I have to do the same thing on the scanner located on logical slot 22.

Ones I do that change to the scanner on the second DeviceNet network I should be able to use the SDNPT driver to access the parameters on all VFD's.

I do have a backup of the network on 1747-SDN scanner on logical slot 12 uploaded with all devices parameters using the SDNPT driver communication method.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the DeviceNet network showing all the drives in it and also the small window shows the parameters for the drive that is highlighted.

18300_Pic3.jpg

Finally...;)
This is not a "picture" Jose, this is the RSNetWorx for DeviceNet file I have been asking since the first post; be careful when working with it though; it most likely contains the entire network configuration since commissioning; you will need it in a "functional state" in case of Scanner failure/replacement of for adding/removing or replacing the devices on the network.
I would be very careful (and I would not recommend it!) going Online with this file using the SDNPT RSLinx driver you've been raving about; you might shut the entire network down or worse since you are using the CPU's Serial port to communicate with the scanner.
Acquire a DeviceNet network interface for the task at hand; the 1770-KFD is some $3-400; compared to the cost of shutting down a thirty five nodes network it will seem like "pocket change"...o_O

Sorry that it took me so long to post the RSNetworx pic. I don't know if it makes any difference but I'm communicating to the CPU through DH+ instead of serial.

The facility where I'm at has a 1770-KFD but for the love of GOD, I can't make it work for me. As a matter of fact one time I was trying to use it on another DeviceNet network and guess what, it shut down the network where all the equipments stop suddenly and the only way to recover was to powering down the panel and powered it back up.