Devicenet Question

icehube

When i back up my devicenet through rs networx i lose the configuration anytime i power it back up. Am i doing something wrong? I put the processor into program mode and then save the configuration...am i getting ahead of myself and missing a step? We are running on a control logix platform with all flex 40 drives...around 30 of them in this panel alone...made a couple of prarameter changes so wanna back them up...thanks for your help.

If you are just backing up your devicenet network to your PC, you do not have to put the processor into program mode. Just scan the network, once it has finished scanning, just save it. Make sure you always do an upload, not a download. A download will download what ever is opened up. Each device has to be uploaded and saved to have a true backup.

Describe exactly what you mean by "lose the configuration" and exactly what you mean by "back up".

"Backing up" a DeviceNet configuration means, to me, that you are uploading all of the configurations from the devices into an RSNetworx for DeviceNet project file.

My guess about what's happening is that the DeviceNet Scanner is configured for "Auto-Device Replace", and has a stored set of parameters inside the Scanner's ADR memory.

When you cycle power, the scanner checks the drives to see if the parameter checksum it has saved matches the one active in the drive. Because you changed some parameters, they aren't the same, and the ADR feature re-downloads the old parameters.

To update the parameter sets in ADR memory, you need to reconfigure the ADR memory on the scanner, using the ADR tab in the scanner configuration applet. This involves uploading the current drive parameters then saving a copy of them onboard the scanner. This must be done for each drive, individually.

Yes ken that is exactly what is happening. when pwoer is cycled i loose what i just changed.I see the ADR tab, so i have to do this to each drive? Kinda new to this part...wanting to make it right.