EthernetIP Sockets Question

Cup O Noodles

Hi all.

I have been tasked with creating a socket routine within an RSLogix 5000 file to replace the need for Interchange.

The hardware I am using for testing is an EN2T and an L72 processor. I wrote a java program to listen for sockets over the network.

I have been using the Ethernet/IP Socket Interface (forget the tech note number) as a guide.

When I try to execute the OpenConnection MSG I get an error.

I am a beginner when it comes to socket programming in RSLogix 5000 so if anyone could shed some light on this for me that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Although i'm not familiar with L72 processor, i'm working in sockets with ML1400 and i also could not put OpenConnection (it's the only one remaining to put working). Following the manual, you get on the N file to send "IPAddr?port=xxx". I already read that we should put the message in ASCII in reverse byte order but i could not do it... problably it's my problem and also yours...

I looked up the error code and this is what I got.

KB0006: A-B Ethernet ActiveX Control - ControlLogix Unsolicited Message Generates error 16#0008 (Unsupported Service Requested)

SYMPTOMS

When using a MSG block from a ControlLogix processor to send unsolicited messages to an ASABTCP ActiveX Control the following error is generated in the MSG block:

Error Code: 16#0008
Error Path: ENET
Error Text: Unsupported Service Requested

CAUSE

RSLinx is running on same PC as A-B Ethernet ActiveX Control.

RESOLUTION

Shut down RSLinx service on PC running ASABTCP and retry MSG.

Interchange ? That's a name I haven't heard in.... [rushes off to get lightsaber]

The error message pretty much means what it says; the Ethernet module is returning a reply to the controller denying that it can perform that service code. I think that the error message is being returned by the module itself, rather than by the target device.

The 1756-EN2T should support the socket service, but I don't think the older 1756-ENBT does. Your module name suggests an ENBT, so double-check the module type (and the firmware revision, while you're at it).

The naming convention needs to be updated. I am really using an EN2T with the correct firmware revision. What did Interchange even do? :confused:

Interchange is a fairy tale told to small children to frighten them into staying in their beds.

The SocketCreate message should have returned a nonzero value, which you put into the Instance number in the SocketOpen message. Give that a try.

The ENET-AT002 document is pretty thorough; follow it closely and you should get a working application.

Yeah I was putting that into the Instance field and I still get the same error. I think it may have something to do with ActiveX controls.

Wait, what ActiveX controls ? You described a Java application, and say you're replacing Interchange.

I think you're going to have to talk this one over with RA Technical Support.

But that's not the only reason for that error code: it's an anomaly and that's why it's in the Knowledgebase. I also think it's referring to ordinary ControlLogix messaging, rather than the open-sockets UDP feature.

If you don't have the ASABTCP ActiveX running, then it's unlikely to be responsible for the error, right ?

Is Interchange still running on the target computer, as well as your UDP listener application ?

If I was diagnosing this, I'd put Wireshark on the controller port and see if any actual traffic is coming out. That will tell you if the error is coming from the module itself or from the target device.

Let me be a little more clear. The java application I wrote is strictly for testing. It is just listening for sockets. It has nothing to do with the project at all. I am working on this on two laptops in my office, not at the actual job site. Interchange is not even installed on any of these machines. That being said, I totally forgot about wireshark so thanks for that.

Your picture shows instance number 0 returned by create. This not right, it cant be 0
You need to revisit create msg to see why it shows 0

Yeah I was putting that into the Instance field and I still get the same error.
You don't do it manually, this must be done automatically by "Create" MSG

Also un-latching ER or DN bit is illegal, it permanently corrupts MSG backing tag and may fault controller
attachment.php
attachment.php

This may explain why your instance returned from Create is 0
What EN2T firmware? you must have 5.7 of higher

Also why not to use application from the knowledgebase 39262?
At least you don't have to guess because it is working.
And it has a working windows test application that makes your Java unnecessary.

u1.JPG u2.JPG