HMI with Ethernet

angi

Hi guys

a question about how HMI works with COntrolLogix processor on Ethernet:

most of the case I just configure the processor and HMI using the IP address from same subnet, I know there is another option to setup the comunication is to add HMI under Processor's I/O configuration, I never try this before, could anybody show me the difference between these two options?

thanks

The only HMI devices I have seen that can be connected like an I/O module to the ControlLogix are the PanelView Standard and the Red Lion G3.

The PanelView Plus cannot be connected with an I/O connection, nor can any PC-based HMI of which I am aware.

What kind of HMI are you using ?

Ken

I just read AB Ethernet/Ip configuration user manual, they mention about PV and PV+ in chapter8, you could take a look if you have time.

thanks

If you cite a manual, please cite it by Publication Number or exact name.

The ENET-UM001i-EN-A.pdf manual that I have handy describes PanelView connections in Chapter 9.

Chapter 9 repeats what I posted above: PanelView Standard can run an I/O connection, while PanelView Plus cannot.

What type of HMI are you using ?

My comments and that user manual say the same thing:

The PanelView Plus does not communicate with a ControlLogix as an I/O connection on EtherNet/IP.

If there is a specific table, diagram, or paragraph in the manual that you would like comment or clarification on, please specify and cite that table, diagram, or paragraph.

That paragraph is at the very beginning of the chapter and generally refers to the fact that Rockwell Automation HMI devices can communicate with Rockwell Automation controllers over the EtherNet/IP network. The beginning of the chapter includes a very general diagram of an Ethernet network, and a list of Logix-family controllers that have Ethernet ports.

The specific wording is:

In this example, the controller in the local chassis shares data with an HMI application on the EtherNet/IP network. This application could be running a:

•PanelView terminal.
•PanelView Plus terminal.
•workstation running RSView 32 software.
•workstation running an RSView Enterprise application, such as RSView Machine Edition or RSView Supervisory Edition.

One page later, the manual states the functional difference between the PanelView Standard terminals and the PanelView Plus terminals: the PanelView Standard supports an I/O style connection, and the PanelView Plus does not.

I've seen several instances where users were confused by the presence of a PanelView Standard as an I/O connection target in RSLogix 5000, so they added one with the IP address of their PanelView Plus terminal. This actually interferes with the communication of the PV+ and the ControlLogix and should not be done.

PVPlus Not IO Ethernet Really Really Really I mean it.jpg